What do Y'all use to clean/wash/shine your hardwood floors?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by buckeye lady, Feb 13, 2009.

1. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    I've tried many products and homeade formulas and the floor is so dull. No shine... It's only 3 years old. It shines if I apply furniture wax-but then we slip and fall!!!! Need Help...

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  2. birdnutz

birdnutz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    wyoming
    Try Holloway House. They have the cleaner and then follow with the quick shine. You can buy it at Walmart.

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I think a lot of it depends on your floor's finish...... is it poly, waxed, oiled, natural???? I'm just now learning about wood floors myself now that I have some.... but when you look online, you will almost ALWAYS find someone to tell you that the last thing you read was no good [​IMG] So... I'm still rather confused myself.

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    im not sure what the landlord put on the hardwood in the last house, I think it was wax over stain? make any sense? it was an antique wood floor, the building used to be a feed mill. it was kind of thick. I just used a swiffer wet mop to clean and shine, sorry I dont know much about it.

5. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Quote:It's polyurethane.

6. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    i have prefinished hard wood by bruce and I use murphy's oil soap

7. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

We have polyurethane on our floors in the livingroom and bedrooms. I usually vacuum 2 or 3 times a week and dust mop using Liquid Gold on occasion. On the rare occasion I damp mop, I use a product for wood floors manufactured by Pledge or tea.
    Our floors are still shiny and are thirteen years old.

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    our floors are the originals with the house. Which was built in 1920.
    We have hardwood through out. [​IMG]

One of my projects for the summer is to rent a floor sander and SAND EM down!! LOL Then refinish them. I have been wanting to do it since we moved in, but then decided to wait when we had the kiddo.
    Two of the bedrooms have deep gouges in the floors though. That is gonna be a problem

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Rhett&SarahsMom :

our floors are the originals with the house. Which was built in 1920.
    We have hardwood through out. [​IMG]

One of my projects for the summer is to rent a floor sander and SAND EM down!! LOL Then refinish them. I have been wanting to do it since we moved in, but then decided to wait when we had the kiddo.
    Two of the bedrooms have deep gouges in the floors though. That is gonna be a problem

Ours is 1947 and hardwood floors throughout the house too. However we do have deep gouges and waiting for our DD to get out of the kiddie stage too! It had a beige carpet when we moved in and told hubby we need to tear out the carpet and see how of a condition it was. Its was not too bad but has black water? spots all over in some areas but the wood itself is beautiful. Oak I think.

DD spilled some cooking oil, vanilla and all purpose cleaner in the living room floor and I thought I would take the Swifter mop and push it all around. The gloss is beautiful, and the wood soaked up the oil and lovely smell of vanilla LOL! I dont know if that cooking oil is good for the wood but it sure does like it. I hope it does not go racid....let me know if I need to mop it up.​

10. luvarabhorses

luvarabhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Hector, Ar
    Try adding about 1/2 cup white vinegar to about a gallon of water, then add about 6 drops of concentrated dish detergent. Mop with this. It will take the wax build up off the polyurethane and make your floor squeaky clean. I do this about once a month. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by