What do you all do about the smell with these little sweeties!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jen5680, Oct 17, 2009.

1. jen5680

jen5680 Southside Silkie Shack

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    I love my babies and have them in the living room with us so we can enjoy them and all but gosh the smell!!!!!! Is there anything that i can add to the bedding to help take the stink away??
    Thanks!

2. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    You can put Sweet PDZ in the brooder or baking soda, but honey, there is a reason they are called BARNYARD animals. [​IMG]

3. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yup. Baking soda is bad because of the sodium levels, not sure about PDZ... either clean hourly or get some distance.

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I kept five chicks indoors at night until they were two months old. I moved them to an outdoor pen on our breezeway during the day, and changed the bedding in both places daily. Nonetheless, the thing that really stopped that "chickeny" smell was when I switched feeds. I think soy based feed may really make the birds smelly.

5. jen5680

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    what is PDV?

6. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Sweet PDZ is a powder that you can use around animals to kill the odor of ammonia from their urine; it also drys up the feces or poop. However with tiny chicks I use puppy pee pads in the brooder. They are soft absorbent and have baking soda imbeded in the liner. I do not use the wood chips in the house to much dust and odor. I also decided no tiny chicks after the weather begins to cool in the fall. I like the spring chicks that I can put out after about 2 or 3 weeks. Alsthough I do miss the tiny fuzz balls. LOL gloria Jean

7. jen5680

Jun 18, 2009
    SW Ohio
    were do you get sweet pdz?
    thanks again

8. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Just last week I was asking about putting shavings in the brooder because of the smell and the mess. A member here at BYC recommended Cozy 'N Fresh bedding pellets available at TSC. A 20# bag is just $5.99. I put about an inch in the brooder, and I am here to say, this stuff works. I have 22 two week old chicks and I do not smell any chicky odor at all. Just today I did change out about 20% of the pellets because they were starting to break down a little.

You will however need to keep an eye on their feeder and waterer as they will at times kick some pellets in them. The bag says non toxic to all animals, but I am careful about the pellets hindering their access to the food and water. I have the feeder and water raised up a bit, however the little ones get rowdy sometimes.

Marty

9. rarebreedeggs4u

rarebreedeggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2009
    Morrow, AR
    Quote:Horse wood stall pellets are the same thing, about $6.00/bag at TSC. I use them a LOT and love them :)

10. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

If it smells that bad and you are changing bedding often, you might want to see about getting a different brand of feed. We keep up to 50 chicks in the house at one time in a brooder cage with a wire mesh floor over a large plastic tray that we cover with newspaper. We can generally go about 3 days before having to change the paper and it never gets bad in the house. But we did have to change feed brands a couple of times before we found a good one. We generally use Purina chick starter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by