What do you all do for kid's school lunches?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by miss_thenorth, Jun 2, 2008.

1. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    My kids haven't complained, but the same ole same ole must get boring after a while. since they are not allowed peanut butter at school, i usually resort to thermoses. Usuals are chicken noodle soup-homemade of course, and spaghetti. I also do pizza rollups on occasion--flatbread, spread w/spaghetti sauce, pepperoni slice, and mossa cheese. Don't like to do this often though, b/c I don't like processed foods.. Main course is always complimented with homemade vanilla yogurt, and a fruit of choice and maybe a muffin or crackers.

What do your kids like eating?

2. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    LOL, my kid loves hard boiled eggs, sliced and then he stacks them on whole wheat crackers. He likes yogurt and mini carrots as sides. For something sweet he gets either a home made cookie or sometimes a fruit leather. [​IMG]

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Pretty much all you listed there. They love homemade apple and plum sauce, cooked veggies as opposed to raw, cheese, cherry tomatoes, fresh berries, nuts, and granola bars.

Bunch of Oregon hippie kids [​IMG]

OH and the dehydrated snacks (cherries!) are a big hit, too.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  4. Pelican49

Pelican49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:I have to ask. What's up with the no peanut butter?

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Quote:I have to ask. What's up with the no peanut butter?

Other kids in their classes have peanut allergies--deathly for some. So therefore-no peanut butter allowed.

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    I gotta know too, why no peanut butter?

oh, I see the answer already, I was wondering if it was an allergy thing. It is quite deadly if one is allergic to peanuts.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

When my mom made/makes my lunch... yeah I'm still spoiled... they were things from:

Rice with meat and veggies (most common)
    Sandwiches made from meat from last nights dinner.
    Pasta
    Soups
    More left overs
    And more left overs from dinner...

Always with a bottle of water or sometimes a bottle of juice, and a fruit.

I think the trend here is left overs and a bottle of water or juice with a cut up fruit.

I remember as a kid I never got lunchables or prepared foods or cup of noodles like the other kids. I can see why now, that stuff is not only unhealthy, but EXPENSIVE!!!

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    I'm lazy...ahem, I mean efficient.....prepay school lunch.

The system here lets you pay on the account online and even sends an email when you are getting low. No more scrounging for sandwich materials OR $$ in the morning for me!

I love having kids but the worst thing about being a mom is having to feed them. Meal after Meal after Meal after Meal...

9. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    My son takes his everyday since lunches at his school run $4.25 a day. Plus he won't eat school lunches at all never has. He likes easy stuff but his favorite is American chopsuey, beef stew, chili, mexican meat pies, Italian meat pies, & soups & sandwhiches, but mostly he takes the left overs from dinner.

10. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Well not as creative as some but.....

My boys get turkey/ham sandwiches
    Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches
    carrots
    fruits
    pirate booty
    crackers
    pretzels

blah blah blah.......

Gosh i'm really not that creative am i.

However i do like the thermos idea.

I have started slowly buying organic and stearing clear of the processed foods. So next years lunches will probably be a little different.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by