1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHAT DO YOU ALL GIVE PREDISONE FOR?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Glenda L Heywood, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I can't get the reason you would give predisone to chicks?
    I don't even take ir

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've never heard of anyone giving prednisone to chickens, Glenda, so I have no idea. I can't think of a reason, either.

3. mamasgirls6

mamasgirls6 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I have never heard of giving Predisone to Chickens. Now my dog for his allergies the Vet always put him on Predisone. I would not try it on your chickens

4. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    It is suggested by Alan Stanford for the treatment of brain inflammation injuries in silkies. However, one must realize that it is a potent immune suppressant and be watchful for infections.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    For brain injuries from pecking at a silkie's weak spot in the skull it makes perfect sense -- it is commonly used to limit inflammation when an animal has a head injury (swelling of the brain can cause a lot more permanent damage than the injury itself did, just like in humans). Sure, prednisone is not something you wanna mess around with, but in this case the alternative tends not to be good either.

Is it actually ever prescribed for anything else?

Pat

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by