What do you believe is the best hatchery?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Rockland Farm, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Rockland Farm

Rockland Farm In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2009
    Connecticut
    I want to order some day-old chicks in the Spring, and I was wondering if anyone knew which hatchery(ies) offered orders of 6 chicks or less. Or, if you just recommend a reliable hatchery that you have had good experience with, that would be okay too! :) Thanks

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
  3. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    It is almost impossible to get 6 chicks or less in an order when it is still cool weather. MPC (MY Pet Chicken) offers special heating packs to ship with chicks. I would pick up some at the local feed store next spring, or go in with someone on a bigger order. I like the birds from Murray McMurray myself, the best.

HenZ

4. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    I agree. We ordered around 30 chicks and they are growing up and happy. We only lost one.

We don't have them vaccinated at the hatchery. We just give medicated food.

5. valerieb

valerieb In the Brooder

Jul 14, 2009
    Richwoods, Missouri
    I have only gotten birds from one hatchery, Meyer in Ohio, but they were in excellent condition when they arrived and have thrived ever since.

6. TheBarnSwallow

TheBarnSwallow [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Lit

So far so good with Murray Mc Murray Hatchery, I lost 3 birds in my first ever order from them 2 weeks ago, they credit it back to me and since I was pleased with the service I ordered my newly arrived chicks, so far only 1 has died, They always say contact them with in 48 hours after arrival if anything is wrong...I will order from them again in the future!

7. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    If you only want a few chickens, maybe you can find a buddy to go in with you on an order. Or you can be like me and always order WAAAAAAAAAAY too many birds.

I've had good luck with McMurray, Ideal, and Meyer. I usually use Ideal when I want commercial hatchery stock because they are really close to me and I've always gotten excellent customer service from them.

8. Kennyog

Kennyog Songster

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    Cackle.

9. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

Ideal, No dead all arrived healthy and happy in 2 days.

10. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    You can order as few as 3 chicks from Meyers. All the chicks that i have ordered from them are now beautiful healthy pullets. The EE's i bought from them started laying at 17 weeks old. I will always order from Meyers. They were at my post office in 16 hours.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: