What Do You Breed To Get A Cornish Cross?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PriceFamilyFarms, May 27, 2010.

1. PriceFamilyFarms

PriceFamilyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    I'm curious of the make-up of a cornish cross

2. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    Made from a Roo from Cornish, & a white Barred Rock hen...

3. PriceFamilyFarms

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    ok...now how do I get a white barred rock? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I have just never heard or a white barred rock.

4. coopslave

coopslave Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2010
    Osoyoos BC Canada
    I think a white plymouth rock is what you would be looking for, ignore the barred part.

5. PriceFamilyFarms

Apr 18, 2010
    Henderson, NC
    ok. Thanks! Sounds like an easy enough hybrid.

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    It may sound easy, but the birds that you see on Tyson, George's, etc. are bred for YEARS until it's not a "simple" crossbreed anymore. The birds are bred specifically for size. It takes several generations of selective breeding to even get close to a beginning on them.

That being said, should taste just as good. Perhaps not as tender, and not as fast-growing, but still delicious.

7. tmeyer

tmeyer New Egg

Feb 6, 2012
    what kind of cornish chicken?

8. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    It's usually a 4 way cross of hybridized types(Grand-parent stock) that include special certain strains of White Plymouth Rocks and White Cornish and believe me the recipes and ingredients are locked away tightly in a vault somewhere that only few know the whereabouts of them are, as they surely wouldn't want it to be leaked out to the general public for they(Tyson, ConAgra,Cobb/Vantress...ect.) would surely go broke! LOL (just sayin')

Jeff

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Four way cross by industry owned parent strains from what I understand. The Freedom Ranger is also a four way cross of different parent lines if I understand it correctly. But I have heard of people having great success breeding up their own meat lines. Often, these seem to feature Cornish/Indian game fowl (not the commercial 'Cornish'), and white Plymouth rocks, some have Naked Necks bred in for less feathering and it can speed growth too. I would imagine at least one person has done some artificial inseminating with the commercial Cornish X too. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by