What do you call this and how do you fix it in detail..

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Caddy-Corner-Chick, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Songster

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    I have a 4 day old White Cochin Bantam and it is not putting weight on one leg. I didn't notice this before so not sure if it is an injury or not.

Here is some pictures.. It's only on one side, she doesnt want to put weight on it, toes are closed

I need details on how to splint it, I have never done so before, and this chick has fuzzy feet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    The link in my signature has great info with pics of leg/foot treatments. It was created by another BYC member. Good luck! [​IMG]

3. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Thank you but it's a bit confusing for me. Do I really need to do all of that or is it a simple brace, and what about the toes?? Is the hair going to be a problem, I see she states to use paper towel and what type of tape...

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Does the leg look deformed or crooked? Or is it just not putting wieght on a normal looking leg? What happens if you straighten the toes and stand the chick up correctly?

5. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    The leg itself does not look deformed. I don't recall it having any problems yesterday so I am thinking it must be an injury. I hope I didn't over look this somehow.
    When I pick up the chick and sit it back down it throws its leg backwards. It does not want to put any weight on that leg.

I feel so bad for the little thing.

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    If it is an injury, a chick chair would probably be best. You can cut the bottom out of a yogurt cup and glue a piece of cloth across that the chick can straddle (make it narrow so the legs hang naturally). Make sure the wieght of the chick is supported by the chair. Two plastic soda tops can be attached to the front for food and water. There are pics in the link I had you follow earlier.

My concern is that her problem is illness. I wish someone with more knowledge would post here. Get some polyvisol without iron (human infant vitamins) and give the chick a couple of drops per day. Sometimes medicated chick started can cause vitamin deficiencies (B vitamins, I think). A bit of yolk from a boiled egg will add protein and promote healing as well.

7. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    Thanks Taz, I have some save a chick I will start her on and make a chair thing for her in the morning. I hope to save her/him. I was so excited to get a white cochin, hope it pulls through this.

8. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] I hope so too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: