What do you consider essential in a ROO's diet? Need backup

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jjthink, Feb 11, 2007.

1. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I've long searched for the best info about this. Hopefully this will help others as well. Thank you [​IMG]

I just need the simple version - if one goes to the feed store to buy food for their roo, what should they come home with? Thanks!

If someone (not I) is only feeding their roos layer food and a bit of scratch, what will happen?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  2. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    If my roosters are in with the hens, they get what the hens eat - layer food and scratch as treats. If they are by themselves, I feed them game cock food and scratch as treats Roosters don't need as much calcium as the hens, but there usually isn't a way to feed them separately. I don't think I have ever heard of a rooster dying of too much calcium though.

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    If someone (not I) is only feeding their roos layer food and a bit of scratch, what will happen?

That roo will be fine [​IMG]

4. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thanks Carla, Helena.
    The roo I have in mind thrived for 5 years on sunflower seeds, wild game bird food, scratch, oats, fruits and veggies (e.g. grapes, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, tomatoes, squash, watermelon, cantelope), Avia Charge 200 in water, and other things too, all things recommended over the years on BYC. Plus plenty of bugs and plants from free ranging. He is now in a situation where the people want to revert to just giving him what they give the hens - layena and scratch (as well as free range in the summer when the weather is good) . I have never seen him eat layena - rejects it - so he will be in trouble unless he is moved to partake because he has no other choice. It will all be a big change for him - and I don't know whether he will be okay or whether he needs to get out.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
  6. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thank you Diana - info very much appreciated.
    When I called feed stores and MH to see what they would say about a roos diet, they hesitate and then say "layer food". This is the answer most places give and so it is hard to convince anyone that they should do otherwise, yet the all those studies would seem to indicate the roos will have health problems on a primarily layer food diet.
    If anyone has any other great user friendly info (something I can get folks to read) about what roos should and shouldn't eat, I'd be grateful and happy to spread the word.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  7. wolfglen

wolfglen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2014
    Punta Gorda, Florida
    I've been a bit confused on the layer food. It says on many bags, do not use on layers when the eggs will be used for hatching and some say don't use within 30 days of collecting eggs for hatching. I've written to the feed companies asking if this is because it might affect the hatchability of the eggs, cause hatching defects or affect the fertility of the cock bird. All I get from the companies is "I don't know" or no answer at all.

Anyone out there know the answer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by