what do you consider the ultimate free range breed

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MistyMountain, Feb 15, 2015.

1. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    And why?

2. KeriT

KeriT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    Piedmont, SC
    For meat? Eggs? Or DP?

3. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Oops, I added that as an edit but I guess it didn't take.

Dual purpose, but good egg layer. Heritage breed is a major plus.

4. KeriT

KeriT Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2015
    Piedmont, SC
    I personally like the Barred Rocks as a DP. They are cold hearty, very healthy, great foragers, great layers, great mothers, great temperament, one of the largest carcass weights of DP breeds, and of course beautiful to look at :)

5. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I really appreciate your input. I have done my research on a number of breeds (I am turning my focus from colorful flock of many breeds to a single heritage dp breed with a couple oddballs for fun). I was focused on the german line of NH, but have since been introduced to the world of the BR. My oh my, are they lovely when you find quality birds with clean lines. I would like to test the idea that the hawks struggle finding them because of the barring camouflage. My main predator out here is hawks.

I suppose I should start searching for NPIP breeders! I have a couple broody-prone ladies, and although we are currently getting 10+ inches of snow, spring is right around the corner…. right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by