What do you constant hatchers do with all the chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DanIndiana, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DanIndiana

DanIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    I'm doing my first batch right now, and I can already tell that if this is successful I could be in trouble. The incubator is full and I already have the urge to set aside more eggs for another batch. What do you do with a constantly increasing chick population? I guess sell them, sell more eggs, etc. If this works I know already that I'm hooked.

2. wvtim

wvtim Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2012
    Build another chicken coop[​IMG]

3. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    BBQ...cva34

4. DanIndiana

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    That's pretty funny, because we probably will build another coop.

5. DanIndiana

Aug 27, 2010
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Seriously though:, sell them, sell eggs, sell boneless cuts? Anyone

6. CowgirlJules

CowgirlJules Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Atwater, CA
    I'm hatching a lot of one breed, which I'm working on. I won't be able to tell which ones I want to keep until they're at least six months old, at which point I'll sell cull pairs and probably eat the extra cockerels. The extra cull pullets will go to my laying flock.

I did start out intending to sell some chicks, but after promising some to a friend and some to my father-in-law, I may not have enough to do that.

7. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    I have a few more coops here, I also choose the colors and characteristics i want to work with onmy projects and sell the ones that don't fit in. It helps support my chick-A-Holic habit you know feed etc.. I knw realistically i cant keep them all even though I would love too.

8. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    If you have a local 4H you can donate chicks to the youth in your community and inspire the next generation.......

9. AreYouLoved

AreYouLoved Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Norman OKLAHOMA
    That is a great idea Jess..I may look into that because I have no cage setup right now. I have been looking for free materials but no luck so far this year.
    I have baby chicks in a stock tank inside my home. And a full incubator set to hatch about March 1st. And 7 eggs hatching right this minute. I defininately got the hatching bug..So I have officially started H.A.A. Hatching Addicts Anonymous. [​IMG]

10. Jessshan8

Jessshan8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2012
    Kalispell, Mt
    Please do "not" tell my wife about that I think she would sign me up! The only problem is I will be too busy with my chickens to attend.

I have just set my first clutch in my incubator that i just finished last month ( took some time to tweak it in ). Today is day zero if all goes well I'll have some update pics on the 8th of march. I am also going to participate in the EASTER HATCH-A-LONG with some of my own eggs and The March egg swap.

This incubator cost me under $35 to build and about 15 hours work. It's made mostly from recycled material.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by