What do you cull for?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lildinkem, Jul 5, 2010.

1. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I thought this would be a fun thread.
    This is my first year I really get to be a flock manager of my Orpingtons and have to make my own calls of my culls. I have been to a few shows, and asked several folks of what they cull for. Many who have years and years with their flocks only have to make decisions like color, comb set. Very little minor things compared to what I am looking for. Being so new with my flock, I am still looking for the bigger trouble traits. Type, tail, with my Buffs, color will be a biggie for the males. I am so new to the idea of having to cull. And I know, I will only keep 2 or 3 of each variety for the males. That makes this a fun subject to talk about.
    Here is the main traits that will keep you alive IF you happen to be an Orp on my property. I have 2 Black, 1 Blue, and 2 Buff males that I am using right now, so it will be the tail that I focus on first, then type and size. And IF you have a lousy tail, you better have both type and size. Or your a goner.
    What do you folks look for?

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    As a non-showing orp wannabebreeder request, please don't forget egg production!

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Primarily egg production, size, and disease. I don't do show birds so I cull for practical qualities.

4. gootziecat

gootziecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2007
    Hampshire Co, WV
    All of the above plus disposition and eye appeal. Disposition is high on the list.

5. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Definitely disposition, eye color, too leggy, flat back,any and ALL color leakage, etc. Egg production is for leghorns!

6. Tim63

Tim63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    Type first, feather quality second, and then color. I don't know if you were specfically talking about Orps only? I think the three things I mentioned would apply to all breeds though. Type-is the breed, color-variety. I'm fairly new to breeding/showing also. The hardest thing for me is giving the birds time to develop before I go too cull happy. Thats the best advice I have been given,-Give the birds time to develop. Sometimes they have to molt lots of baby feathers before they get their adult plummage. And obviously they need a little time to fill out to exhibit their true type. There is an old saying in the fancy I'm sure you are familiar with,"build the barn before you paint it."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by