1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do about MILITANT squirrels?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Funky Chooks, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Funky Chooks

Funky Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Hi all!

I am now firmly in the 'I hate squirrels' camp of people. I used to love them, I really did. Now that I have chickens they are a constant pain in the rear. The major trouble is this I think: my next door neighboor feeds them every single day on multiple walks in the neighborhood. He has done this for many years. He feeds them so we have a population explosion, and on top of that our neighborhood is on a very slow lane, so no traffic ever limits their population growth.

What do most people do? I've looked into it, and in the NW where I live most squirrels are an undesirable invasive species anyway. Are there city codes or whatever to worry about? We have gotten good at pellet gun practice but have not started taking anyone out yet... suggestions? Rat traps? I'm thinking of penning the girls for a day or two until I can get a couple in a trap perhaps?? Arrgh! Help!

Thankies.

PS- Yes, they are "militant." These little b******s never seem to eat from a natural source, except my FIG tree!

2. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    sounds like it's time to stop practicing [​IMG]

3. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Hahahaa! Yeah, we are so close to all out war on these little spawns of satan. :p

They are so entirely spoiled from the guy next door that they never search out natural food. Only my chickens food and what he feeds them. He's not going to like us if he finds out, but it's no big deal since he's a gossipy guy, and we could do with less of his chatter anyway.

4. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    To me they are rats with fluffy tales.
    We were over run with them when I was a kid. They chewed through the corner of the house near the roofline and got into the attic. Made nests in there and destroyed all our baby clothes, photos etc. Mom decided to put poison out to kill them... didn't think that through all the way and our dog ate the poison and practically died. Started trapping them 'disposing' of them. We moved to another house across town. Woke up one morning, my room was a converted attic, and there was a squirrel on my bed. Yup, they followed us to the new house.
    Good luck!!

5. Tazman99

Tazman99 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 4, 2012
    Check out laws on killing them, it should be fine, as they are technically a pest right now.

If it's legal, start a war. Traps, BB Guns, letting your cats hunt.

6. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I use a squirrel trap.Catch and dispose.Sometimes I get 3 or 4 a day.Nice quiet removal.Squirrelnator.Saw it at my feed store for 40.Comes with a plastic tray.

7. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Our squirrel population is kept in check by the coyote/fox population.

It's the chipmunk population, fueled by a neighbor feeding them, which is rampantly expanding. We took matters into our own hands, so to speak.

Got some traps (rat) and put the traps around where we store our chick feed in the barn. Caught them within 10min of putting out traps. Caught over 28 of 'em last season. Still saw some last fall - musta moved into the abandoned houses full of OUR chick feed! GRRRRR.....

Yes, use whatever means necessary. Traps, bb's, whatever works! We 'hosted' ours in 'Camp Frigidaire' until garbage collection day. Garbage man must have wondered what all these little bitty baggies were (used plastic bags from stores to put carcasses in). Took us longer to get them through the trash system than to catch 'em. We only put trash out once a month!

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. bowen012

bowen012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    North Carolina
    Rats with tails is exactly what they are. I run a rat rescue (for pet rats, not the wild variety) so obviously don't have the animosity towards them than many have; but am certainly on board to the wild varieties falling into pest categories. I'm in the live trapping camp; but never tried it with squirrels as I don't have a population problem; with rats it's tricky(ish) as they need to be transported at least a mile from their home or they'll find it again; since squirrels are closely related, I can only assume the same is true with them as well. The OP's situation doesn't sound great. I think as long as your neighbor is providing for them, then you'll be fighting a losing battle unless you go all out "caddyshack" on them...

Have you tried addressing the issue with your neighbor? He may be willing to slow down on the feeding if he's made aware of the situation. I think the environment needs to be made less friendly for the squirrels before you can make a significant impact on their population.

9. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    Holy Moly! They sound like poltergiests!

They must have really loved you guys as their "family" somehow? Wow.

10. Funky Chooks

Dec 16, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    We spent yesterday researching the city regulation, and we are all clear of course. We also spent some time looking at detailed photos of the Western Squirrel, which we would not euthanize since it is an endangered species. It appears that particular species doesn't even seem to inhabit the Portland area anyway, as we have not seen it.

But trust me, Operation "Squirrel Storm Shock & Awe" is about to commence. There comes a point when you decide enough is enough. We passed that point a few months ago, when we ended up with almost no figs. :p The harsh winter weather will be a good cover for a sudden decline in area population. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by