What do you do for AUCTION house chickens?

sadieml

Chirping
Oct 11, 2015
Blythewood SC, USA
I just got 2 hens and a roo at an auction last night. Other than quarantining from our chicks, what should we do to insure they're as healthy as we can manage? Is it too late to vaccinate for Marek's and Coccidiosis? Is it a shot for Coccidiosis? Is there anything else we should do? (Other than love on them, since we are doing that already!) I love them sooo much, already. So much so that even though the roo was supposed to be a hen, and I was dead-set against ANY roos, his name is Roy Rooster (like from Garfield and Friends) and he is definitely staying.
big_smile.png

First of all, definitely continue to keep far far away from your existing flock. Congrats on being smarter than I once was and using quarantine procedures. Be sure to do a bare minimum of three weeks separation.

It's too late in life for any vaccinations and I wouldn't recommend giving them any kind of medication or supplements at all except perhaps vitamins like NutriDrench or maybe some Sav-A-Chick electrolytes to help with moving stress. Worming them would also be a good idea - Rooster Bolster multi wormer apparently works well and I've had great luck with Fenbendazole (brand name Panacur; a pea sized amount of paste per adult standard bird). The point of quarantine is for any sick birds to show symptoms so you can become aware of any issues and, yes, cull the birds if they carry any infectious disease.

Lovin' that avatar! He is fine! So is Moose! mmm, mmm.

Thanks for the info. 5 days into quarantine, they seem fine. Hens are still shaken-up a bit I guess, not laying, yet. I know that'll clear up soon. Can't wait to get those yummy eggs! These girls are pretty popular with my clan. We don't have any other grown-up girls, just chicks. Maria is a black australorp, and Valerie is a Plymouth Rock Frizzle, a couple of real beauties, and Roy is the sweetest black cochin roo you'd ever want to meet. He's a bit upset with me for keeping him away from the girls, but I don't want fertile eggs. He was supposed to be a hen (per the auctioneer) but he's too sweet to take back, besides, he only cost me $3. If I ever get too sick of the crowing, we can always have him for dinner (provided he likes what we're serving) since I promised the family we won't eat him. ha ha Sorry, I know that's not funny. Well, I guess I'll hush for now. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom