1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

What do you do for flies?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Yolk Yolk, May 31, 2010.

1. Yolk Yolk

Yolk Yolk Hatching

May 28, 2010
    I just got my chickens today and within hours, I had green house flies all over their poop? Do I live with them or is there some way to deal with them? My coop was perfectly clean when they arrived. I went out to check them and heard a serious buzzing noise. I couldn't believe it! Oh well. I'd rather have chickens and flies than no chickens at all. I love them already. Any suggestions?

2. jeni51

jeni51 In the Brooder

Oct 2, 2009
    Norristown
    I bought a Victor Fly trap, no toxins add included powder, warm water and hang. Seems to be working.

3. offdagridsoon

offdagridsoon In the Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Ontario
    Ducks. Get ducks. lol I'm not even kidding - we've had terrible cluster fly problems in this house for many years, and the first spring our Cayuga ducks were on the property and free ranging was the first year that there were hardly any cluster flies at all. They are absolute MACHINES when it comes to eating bugs!

4. LadyinRed

LadyinRed Songster

Sep 22, 2009
    Do you use pine shavings for bedding? It helps break the life cycle. When its fresh they lay eggs in the poop but it dries out so fast with the pine shavings that it makes the poop with fly eggs no good for the larvae.

I failed to clean my shavings out a few weeks longer and it was getting moist longer and then there was a boom in the fly population. Back to my normal coop cleaning schedule for good.

5. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Songster

Apr 22, 2010
    Sprinkling DE in the coop and run won't do anything for the already mature flies, but it will stop the life cycle of the eggs they lay. I just did this in my coop and run this morning.

6. my3chickens

my3chickens Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I just bought DE today, I have 3 chickens (6 weeks old), and my run is only 20 sq feet, any idea how much DE I use? No directions on the container. Also do I put it inside the coop?

7. fours2many

fours2many Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    I have tried more pine, De and lyme, Adam's flee and tick spray (helped for a minute or 2). I have ducks in the same run. Still have severe case of flies. I am going to try the hanging traps that use pheromones from HD. Something has got to work!

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    how much DE I use? No directions on the container. Also do I put it inside the coop?

Just sprinkle some around inside, especially under the roost
    It will be a waste to put any outside, since it doesn't work when it's wet​

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I am going to try the hanging traps that use pheromones from HD.

That will just attract MORE flies.​

10. fours2many

fours2many Songster

Feb 28, 2010
    Naples, Florida
    Quote:That will just attract MORE flies.

if I place the traps away from the coop, you don't think they will go there instead? I am at wits end. Was hoping this was the answer. I live in a very humid area, rains couple of times a day during the wet season, and we are in it! What else can I use?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by