What do you do to get the eggs ready to sell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MeatKing, Sep 26, 2010.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi am I new to this chicken world and I finally have enough eggs to start sharing with friends [​IMG] I want to candle them, to try to weed out the ones with spots. What kind've flashlight workds best? And what am I looking for? (I believe the blood spots?)
    I searched the subject but, everyting is about weather is fertilezed ect. Thank-you everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I do nothing but package them, date the package and refrigerate. My customers know that should they choose to do so, it's best to wash them right before using. Really dirty eggs (a rarity) get fed to the dogs.
    I don't candle my eggs. My hens are brown egg layers and candling them for spots is harder. As proof, yesterday I scrambled up some (store bought) brown eggs (my hens are molting, so no eggs). Five of the dozen store bought egg had meat spots and one had a blood spot. They are harmless, so I just scrambled them right into the mix.

3. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I do about the same thing except we don't toss the dirty eggs--just clean them off and use them ourselves.

4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:X2

5. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    I only clean the dirty ones and refrigerate. My regular customers have requested that the bloom be left on.

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Quote:X2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by