1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do to keep the winter blues (blahs) at bay?????

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hoosiermomma, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    With the winter season quickly approaching, what do you do to keep from getting these.....[​IMG]

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Vitamin D 3. It has to be the "3"(cholecalciferol), not the 2. 3,000 IU a day. Many many americans are deficient in it and in the wintertime, we get even less from the sun. Helps with fibromyalgia too in many cases.
    I used to take it only in the wintertime, but my doctor has told me to take it year-round.
    Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, so you can get toxic; but rarely at levels below 10,000 IUs a day.

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Vitamins, every flavor of tea, and most importantly- piesporter! [​IMG]

4. DianeB

DianeB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Light. Winter blues have to do with a gland in the back of our eyes that do not get enough light. If can change the lights in your house to full spectrum CFLs it really helps. I get a bit of the winter blues myself. On sunny days, I always feel better. If you can move to CA, AZ or FL that is even better [​IMG]

Here is a link http://www.gannett.cornell.edu/healthAtoZ/healthAdvice/winterBlues.html

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Thanks for posting this.

I am dreading the time change next week. When the days end early, my blues kick in quick and hard.

I have already upped my 'D' but need to go check and make sure its the right one...thanks Gritsar for the info.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I am loaded up on fabric, thread, patterns, jigsaw puzzles and more memory for my computer and wood for the stove!

[​IMG]

7. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:When they kick in, pm me, I'm sure I'll be right there with you. [​IMG]

I will definately get some Vit. D and change the light bulbs. It's amazing how shorter daylight hours, very little sun and not being able to get outside can affect your mood. I am very outdoorsy but cannot stand the cold.

If all of my family wasn't within an hour of me, I would move more south in a second. (Anyone down south want to send some ocean water and beach sand?) I do have a brother in Montana but I would want his weather for anything. LOL

8. citrusdreams

citrusdreams Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    I also dread the upcoming time changes and it really does affect me. I try to look at it as a time that I can do things that I wouldn't otherwise do in the summer when it's hot.

I try to bake, rather then buy breads. It seems to give the house a more homey feel, and helps it stay warm. Baking roasts, making stews and soups. Crocheting or knitting. Using any free time during the day to enjoy the light.

9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Quote:When they kick in, pm me, I'm sure I'll be right there with you. [​IMG]

I will definately get some Vit. D and change the light bulbs. It's amazing how shorter daylight hours, very little sun and not being able to get outside can affect your mood. I am very outdoorsy but cannot stand the cold.

If all of my family wasn't within an hour of me, I would move more south in a second. (Anyone down south want to send some ocean water and beach sand?) I do have a brother in Montana but I would want his weather for anything. LOL

I'd surely send you some sun, ocean water and beach sand, for a little cold weather down here! Its always just to hot for me! Go figure, and I was born here! [​IMG]

10. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I'm with Terrie and citrusdreams. I only tolerate winter, unless I can make really sumptious soups and stews, and have a nice fire. Then, it's enjoyable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by