1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do when you go on vacation?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SFBayArea, Jan 28, 2014.

1. SFBayArea

SFBayArea Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    I wonder how people get away with chickens and vacation time.

I plan to have 4-6(max) chickens. However, my wife is afraid once we have this small flock we'll be bounded to stay at home ALL THE TIME.

How do you people manage your flock and your life? Automate the door to the coop? Auto waterer and large feeder? What about layed out eggs, how do you take care of that if you leave for lets say 7 days?

2. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    I was on vacation for two days and just left out extra water and feed, they were fine when i came back home.

3. bauerdog

bauerdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2012
    central jersey
    You can ask a neighbor to check on them. If you have an automated door, it doesn't have to be a daily check in the nicer weathered months. You can sweeten the deal by offering them any eggs they collect are theirs to keep. My 10 lb feeder lasts two to three days in cold weather and so does the similar sized waterer. I have seventeen chickens. Eggs can last on the counter for well over a week. I wouldn't be worried about eggs being collected every other day in good weather :)

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

The neighbor kids come over and take care of my horses, farm dog, and chickens. I put a round bale of hay for the horses they have 80 gallons of water tanks. I put layer pellets in a large tub and 5 gallon jugs of water beside the pen so the kids don't have to carry water. The dog's food is on the deck she drinks from the horse waterer. I prepare everything to make it as simple as possible. They have never let me down :)

5. SFBayArea

Jan 21, 2014
    Yep, neighbor idea is great, but I am new in the area and don't really know anyone. People in my area kind of snobby. I don't think I can find any local neighbor kid who will be willing to come and check on my chickens when their parents buying them brand new cars at the age of 16 :).
    Hence, if I am to have my own laying eggs chickens I need to think of full automation to keep girls safe and sound for at least 7-10 days.
    I am thinking I can purchase or build automated door and have enclosed run for them. I also found waterer that connects directly to the garden hose. Feeder I guess I can get one large enough to feed 4 chickens for 10 days.
    My biggest concern are eggs. I know that eggs will stay fresh for 7-10 days as long as they are in the shaded area, however, I am concerned that during 7-10 days of vacation girls may brake eggs and eat them. I don't want to promote the behavior of them eating their own eggs. So, I was thinking maybe there is a next box design that allows eggs to safely roll off of the nest into a collection compartment?

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I hire a pet sitter just like I would for my dogs. I have an automatic door, and well-built coop, and a page of instructions. Works great for me.

7. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    There is a nest design that allows that.
    The book "Storey's guide to raising chickens" shows pictures of a nest like that.

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Check out this thread and also search using the phrase "roll out nest box."

9. SFBayArea

Jan 21, 2014

Thank you!

10. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Another idea..... conact your local 4H to find a responsible kid. Lots of their parents will provide transportation as part of their child's yearly project.

FFA is another place to check.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by