What do you do when your chickens are old???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by olijo123, Jan 29, 2014.

1. olijo123

olijo123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    What do you do when your chickens are older and done laying? I have had chickens for five years now and some of them are up there in age and some have been passing away. Not all my chickens are older because I have bought some this past spring. I have heard some people try to sell them or eat them, but I just cant do that!! I would rather my chickens live out the rest of their lives in retirement at home. Then maybe in a year or two I would restock my flock a little. But what do you do when your chickens have stopped laying and are older?

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Eat them or sell them to someone who eats them.

3. IttyBiddyRedHen

IttyBiddyRedHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2011
    East coast
    It's up to you if you want to continue feeding them, as pets.

4. olijo123

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Yeah I have considered that! But I wouldn't be able to do it knowing that the chickens I raised from chicks would be eaten! Thanks for your advice!

5. olijo123

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Yes, most likely I will just continue to feed them as pets then maybe in a year or two I will probably restock my flock. Thanks!

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    We all have different goals and reasons for having chickens. Mine is more for meat than the eggs, so you can guess what I do. There is no right or wrong about it, purely personal choice. Do what you are comfortable doing.

7. olijo123

Jun 10, 2013
    WV
    Thank you! I will probably end up letting them live their lives out at home.

8. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I am sure that a couple of my girls will get free rides into old age, but for the most part I will butcher my laying hens after 3 years, probably 2 for the production hens. I don't see the point in feeding out a bird that I have no contact/need for. Like I tell my kids, we care for them until they can care for us!

9. ChickenCurt

ChickenCurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2014
    For many it's hard to raise things for the butcher block, and it should be hard, personally, if anyone can kill without conscience then they shouldn't be allowed to kill. We should give thanks for the sacrifice that most take for granted and merely call dinner.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by