What do you do when your girls squat for you?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by staceyl, Oct 30, 2009.

1. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    When we had a rooster my girls did not squat for me. Now he's been gone a while and one of them has started squatting. She tends to do it right as I'm trying to shoo them back in the pen. I reach down and pat her and rub her back for a bit, but she doesn't seem satisfied. She still sits there in front of me and I wind up having to give her a little nudge with my foot to get her moving again. Is there anything I can do to make her feel like she's gotten a little lovin' from her rooster? Am I being to gentle for her? I don't want to hurt her.

Stacey

2. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm still relatively new to this. But I have 4 girls who do the squat for me. We have never had a rooster, so I just bend down and stroke the hen's back. One will switch her tail to the side...I just continue the stroke down to the end of her tail. After a couple of pats, I'll say "good girl" and continue walking. Seems to fulfill my girls' needs:p

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    I pet mine for a minute, then grip their back and kinda shake 'em a little. Not hard or mean, but enough so they feel ruffled up. After that they jump up, fluff themselves off, and seem satisfied. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Wish human females were that easy.... just sayin'

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  5. staceyl

staceyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2009
    LOL Hooligan.

6. adkchickmama

adkchickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Adirondacks
    I agree with "wegotchickens" I pat and ruffle their back until they get up and leave. We have not had a roo as yet but are raising one EE guy from a hatch in August, so he can take over in a few months! [​IMG]

7. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN

DH was mocking the rooster one day for finding the hens all kinds of treats. And I reminded DH that the rooster got lucky several times a day and maybe giving treats was a good strategy. DH quit laughing....

8. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN

DH was mocking the rooster one day for finding the hens all kinds of treats. And I reminded DH that the rooster got lucky several times a day and maybe giving treats was a good strategy. DH quit laughing....

[​IMG]

9. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    This sounds bad but... I give them a squeeze with my hand before their wings and then at the base of their tail, almost like I'm tickling them. Boy, they ruffle their feathers and smile afterwards.

10. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I try not to trip over them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by