What do you do when your hatch is lasting longer then 3 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stone_family3, Apr 6, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    How do I open the bator without screwing up the rest of the chicks? Do I just open, pull out and quickly up the humidity?

2. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    How many have hatched? Are they complete dry? How many remaining eggs? Have the remaining eggs pipped?

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Only one egg is piped currently (that I can see) About 50 remain, and 2 our dry and one still looks wet, but it's been sixish hours since hatch.

4. smchickfarm

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    Well, personally I would not take them out yet. They can stay in there for up to 72 hours. They do not need to eat or drink for that time period due to absorbing the yoke.

I have taken some out before in previous hatches , but there were like 5 o 6 completely dry and the only reason I took them out was they were rolling the unhatched eggs around too much.

You have to be careful opening the incubator , when you have eggs that have pipped. If you open it, your humidity will drop and this can cause the chick that has pipped to become shrink wrapped in the membrane inside the egg.

If you absolutely have to open it and get them out, be quick and spritz water in there while you have it open. I have done that , and it has worked.

Basically it is your call. If you do it, be very careful. Maybe wait till the pipped egg has hatched. Maybe then you can get the dried ones out before another 1 pips.

I hope that makes sense!

Good luck [​IMG] and keep us posted!

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome I have plenty of time left for my bantam hatches first one hatched about 11pm April 5th. However the rest are due tomorrow, but the bator seems to hatch them a day late.

6. smchickfarm

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    I wish you the best!!!! Keep posting updates!!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by