What do you do with a bratty kid...

patnjess

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
We have a bunch of good friends, and we are having a series of memorial day parties, last night my turn.

Well my husbands best bud has 3 kids, 2 boys and a girl. 2 boys are great. The little girl, not! shes 6.

I was on the porch talking to my husband about the ribs we were grilling, and she says, "Would you shut your mouth already, I'm tired of hearing you."

I ignored her, then she proceeded to tell me again, while telling me I told you.

then all the kids went in the house, after running around outside with no shoes, after the rain, can you say mud! I don't even allow people to wear shoes in my home. So I had the kids go inside and wash hands and feet in the tub.

I told her to and she says, "No." I said go do it. "I don't have to, this is not my house and you can't make me."
I say, "Go do as I say. Or else you can go to bed."
she "No you can't make me."
I said, "wanna bet! I have a bed in there and you WILL go into it."
She walks off still not doing as I say.

So I go in there and tell her, "Do as I say! If you were my kid I would beat you."

I didn't say anything, as all the men were playing poker.

She did other things too, whatever she wanted!

We have phase 2 party tonight, and I think I may kill her, and don't want to rock the boat with friends, people can be funny. But I'm super irratated and I'm afraid of my mouth.

So what would you do?

Dad would be yanked out of his poker game and sent home with the child. After they both got a very clear and calm explanation of the behaviour that is not tolerated. Period.

Last edited:
I'm assuming daddy was there playing poker? What did he say when you told him of her behavior and smart mouth? I imagine for a 6 year old to say that she hears a lot at home. If he didn't speak to her immediately, pick up said child,, deposit her into daddy's lap while playing poker and tell him "I'm sorry, but you have to keep her with you, she will not listen, she will not obey, she is back talking me, and I will not deal with her". Then walk away. If he sets her down and she takes off, repeat above step. Don't worry about upsetting anyone, your own hubby included, it is up to her father as her parent there to deal with her.

I would tell her that her behavior is not at all tolerated in my home and if she doesn't want to obey your rules, she can go sit alone over there. Then I would tell her father ASAP and tell him what she said to you, and do what WriterofWords said.
wink.png

Nope mama wasn't feeling good. I always feel bad being a nark and drawing everyones attention but I guess i will have to.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom