1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do with a rotten egg?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rooster14250, May 21, 2016.

1. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Today i noticed a bad smell in the incubator, and saw an oozing egg. I tried to remove it, but it ended up bursting all over the other eggs and the incubator. I then washed the incubator thoroughly and washed the eggs until they stopped smelling rotten (they were in and out within 20 minutes). Are the eggs likely to survive? They have one week left until they hatch.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  2. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Eww, that sucks!

20 minutes out of the incubator shouldn't matter much, if any. But, you'll find out in a week what happens, not much can be done about it. At least you caught the offending egg before it burst and marinated the others with funk for hours on end; it definitely could have been worse.

Good luck!

3. Rooster14250

Rooster14250 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2015
    Thanks! 12 hours later and the incubator almost smells like normal (slightly rotten smell still). I'll try to post the results of the hatch.

4. redguinea

redguinea Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2015
    Land down under
    Ive had that happen, but I couldnt be bothered saving the eggs (the incubator wasnt full). The rotten one had an embyo at first but it obviously died but didnt have a bloodring so I left it and when I finally decided to take it out (slight smell) it exploded all over the other eggs and my hand but I didnt want to deal with cleaning them so I cleaned the incubator and threw the eggs away. Hopefully your eggs all hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by