What do you DO with a Shamo? **PICS**

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WooingWyandotte, Aug 12, 2011.

1. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    A few weeks ago I bought a 6 week old pullet from the flea market, she's in excellent health. Whew!
    Except....she has a really long neck, really long legs, and a short beak. Mable's the most dearest thing, follows me around like my dog. She surprises me by jumping on my head and shoulders, freaks out when she can't see a human. At first I was dubious whether she was a chicken. But after looking around she seems to be a Shamo. How do you integrate a Shamo? I introduced her to some 13 week olds - she beat the living tar out of them. I would get some pics on here, but I need to figure how to hook up the camera. Her color is a creamish tan with black and brown. Any help or info on this bird would be greatly appreciated!

WW

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    Are you sure "she" is a she? Because the simple answer if "she" is not is that you don't. [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd love to see a pic, as I'm sure would many others. I'm having a hard time picturing a Shamo at a flea market?

4. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    THey sell chickens at flea markets here in NC, too. And my friend used to sell chicks every spring at the flea market in IN. [​IMG]

OP, sorry, I've never seen a shamo, except in pics. THey're very strange looking!

5. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Shamo's are rather pricey. $50, $75 a chick running on up...

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Quote:ye I heard they are wonderful pets but dont get along with others well at all. AND they are monogamous.

7. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    From what I understand.....The stags will fight any rooster till one or the other is dead. Sometimes the hens can be prone to fighting also. I just got a trio a couple of weeks ago so I am on a learning curve. Right now mine are with three araucanas that they have been around since hatching. They are very people-y.
    sharon

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Quote:I was referring to Shamos in particular due to the priciness and rariety.

9. welasharon

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Me too! I drove 1200 miles to get mine!

10. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    What's the question? No matter the gender, they have long legs, neck. [​IMG]

She'll be fine introduced to the others.

ETA - Female hen and pullet for comparison.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by