What do you do with extra chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mandymooligan, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I am so close to buyng an incubator but I have to ask one question. What do you do with all the extra chicks? I can definitley see how this could be addicting but my one and only thing stopping me is that question, especially roosters.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I have a neighbor down the road eagerly awaiting for any extras I have. He has kids he needs to feed....

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You silly! That's why we are all here, getting moral support from the chicken math, to rehoming, to rooster recipies. You'll catch on soon enough! Good luck trying to not fall in love with ALL of them!

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Some I sell, some I keep, some I cull, some I give away.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I have a Amish neighbor with kids to feed also. They bake me pies I give them unwanted roosters. Good exchange.
    Michele

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Test try your local market. If a market exists, you'll soon know. If you fail to find a ready market for your hatched chicks, then you'll either have to cease hatching or end up with many, many more mouths to feed. Don't commit to a long term agenda until you've tried it for awhile to test things out. Our market here is rapidly approaching the near saturation point on all things poultry. Like all things, expansion cannot go on forever.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Some people rent out their incubators. People PAY them to hatch out chicks. You could get a breed that can be sexed at day old (eg faverolle) then "charge" the person X many chicks as you want. That way you'll be able to hatch chicks and get more hens when you need them, but never have to deal with "getting rid of" extra chicks because they'll already have a home to go to!

8. Mandymooligan

Mandymooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Chino Valley, AZ
    Here is a hard question. Do you ever cull roosters as soon as they show themselves as chicks so you don't have to feed them out?

9. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    sometimes. My dogs eat the young ones that get culled. They don't go to waste.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Do you process them first?? I'm sure that's a silly question to folks who use them for dog food, but I'm wondering...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by