What do you do with pine shavings?

domromer

Songster
12 Years
May 11, 2007
Flagstaff,AZ
My hens have shavings in their coop and I also have a brooder going. I'm collecting the poop off the dropping boards and am aging some in a pile and putting some in my composter. What about all the pine shavings that have poop in them? I head they aren't good to put in a composter because they take forever to break down, but i don't want to waste all the good chicken manure. What can I do? What are other people doing with poopy pine shavings?

we just put ours in the yard debree bin. the chickens are outside enough to poop everywhere else, so no chicken poop is wasted
big_smile.png
i notice you're from simpson town! you mad that we dont get the premire?

I just throw it in the compost pile and stir it once in a while. As I'm waiting for one pile to become compost I just start another. I figure eventually I'll have some compost.

I put my poopy shavings around the trunks of some little ornamental pear trees, etc, so it keeps the grass down, and hubby can mow around them without having to weed eat around them. So far (a couple years) it has worked fine.

Judy, how long do you wait before you put it around the trees, and do you put on or around them??? I have some little plum trees begging for something, lol

I just scrap em out of the coop and take them there and pour them around the tree trunks, about 4 inches deep, and making a circle about 18 inches across, with the tree trunk coming out of the center of it. These are started trees, about 3 inch thick trunks. Hasn't hurt them so far, at least.

Kool, mine are about the size of a pencil, just a little smaller around. Guess what I will be doing tomorrow, When I planted them we were getting rain pretty regularly, now the heat is getting to them I think, hope they pull through. Thanks for replying

I put mine right into the compost pile. The fact that it breaks down slowly is actually a benefit to my garden because my natural soil is clay and could use the extra bulk to help the water flow through easier.

Back
Top Bottom