1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do with Quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by IggiMom, Apr 26, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am thinking of getting a 1588 Hovabator, and one of the places tosses in 30 Bobwhite Quail eggs.

If I get one, what will i do with the quail? Will they stay around if they grow up here, or must they be confined?

You can eat eggs from chickens or eat the chickens (I guess) but I have no idea what I would do with a quail should I hatch some out.

I wouldn't mind having them running around the place if they are like Guineas and would continue to hang out here.

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Nope they aren't like guineas sorry lol.

3. Appaloosa Hill Farm

Appaloosa Hill Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Southern Middle TN
    You roast them! [​IMG]

I'm keeping mine for eggs right now, but when they begin laying, I'll hatch some--keep the females and butcher the males.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:[​IMG]

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We just moved our first hatch out to the brooder barn last weekend, we set 96 eggs and I still haven't counted how many hatched - it's bunch. lol they are taking up two 5 foot square brooder boxes. The second batch of 96 went in as the first hatched they are about 2 weeks old now, the third batch is in the inucbator and I think hatch next week-ish. The first 2 batches are 100% going in the freezer and probably about 2/3 of the third. That should be enough quail to get us thru the summer. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

6. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    Um--do you skin them or do you try to pluck them?

7. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Skin them, it takes no time at all to process them. Once you get the hang of it a minute or less per bird. I would have to say they are the best tasting bird we raise.

Steve in NC

8. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    You can eat eggs , and also the meat is tasty. My son loves it. Processing them is fast and easy. I skin mine which works best for me.

9. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I agree - they are wonderful. I've only plucked mine but unless you are roasting or grilling, the skin is worthless. I'll be doing another batch shortly and plan to skin them all this time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by