What do you do with roos?

ChickPeas

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Iron Station, NC
I have a flock of 11-about 8 weeks old...if I'm correct...I believe I'll have 5 roos. Of course they were supposed to be all pullets (yea. right!) and all have girls' names! lol

What do ppl do with their roos? I was planning on keeping all of them, but the more I read, the more I see ppl don't want to keep so many.

Why? Can someone tell me more about raising roos?

thanks!

i have 10, 9 week old chicks.(5 are male) 3 two day old chicks. 6 laying hens. and 1 full grown roo.

i raised my 9 week olds from a day old and am so attached to them.,, well, i am keeping 4 out of five of them.

i am selling the rooster i have now. (since he isnt hand raised and tame)

so i will end up eventually with 11 hens, and 4 roosters.

it is said that one rooster can handle 12 hens or more on his own.

so im in a slight pickle. however, my chickens are free ranged, so they wont fight as much as they would in confinment. i have feeding stations seperated. so each rooster can have his own "territory" to help with them not fighting.

i have a "mating cage" that i will seperate the roos and hens that i want to breed and put them in there so ill have fulll blooded chicks.

i have given away roosters in the past. the one that i will sell at four months old is a blk australorp. i do not have any hens to breed him with. and i have him set up with a really good home. im only getting 10 bucks for him. but thats almost a bag of feed.

well,, hope this helps

You can keep them, just don't keep them in the same area as the hens or when they become breeding age, your hens will get pretty abused. If you don't want to separate them, wait till they get bigger, and eat them.

Eek. I can't eat them...I don't want to eat something I've raised.
hmm.png

Out of the 5, two are bantams, 2 are practically lap dogs and one is a wuss. Is there anyway they can live in peace? I don't want them to end up on someone's plate or not being cared for properly.

Since I don't want to breed, can I separate all the roos and put them in a bachelor's pad or something? Maybe I can keep one...Danielle - she's the main roo- with the rest of the girls and take out Justine, Suzanne, Iris and Louise.

I'm confused now....can bantam and heavy breed roos live peacably?

My plans if there are any roos in my chicks is to give them to a lady that sells and hatches mixed breed laying chicks. You can even give them to a feed store and they will sell them.

Yes, that is what I said earlier, you just have to keep them in their own pen for your hens sake.

I didn't realize a bunch of roos could live together without killing each other..that's good then. I'd rather keep them then give them away.

Unless of course they start acting up...then I'll have to rethink their fate.

Thanks for your input!

Living in a neighborhood I can't have roos. I found a nice lady on Craig's List that is taking the roos off my hands. She a vegetarian (
big_smile.png
) and loves having chickens in her yard and wants some to free-range. I gave her all of mine (taking her some extra pullets this week too). She offered to pay me, but I said she didn't have to since I knew my chickens would be getting a good home. I am sort of limited in how many chickens I can have and you have to buy a certain amonut when they come in at the farm stores. (6 minimum, even if you only want 2). She's getting all my extras.

if you dont want all the roos.you need to see if you can give them away.having more than 1 roo is bad news.because the roos will fight all the time.an maybe even kill eachother.

At what age to they start in with this violent behavior?

Right now at 8 weeks they seem pretty good together..they go through their pecking order and stare each other down, but for the most part, they seem fine.

Which would be better to keep with the girls....The alpha male? Or the two really small bantams? Or maybe one that's lower in the pecking order?

Back
Top Bottom