What do you do with the eggs under broody that dont hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I hear peepers and should hope for the best that all 8 of them will hatch (there was 8 developed that i could see good when i last candled...day 16-17? but one didnt look nearly as veiny as the others i didnt think? idk)

Was just curious on if she disposes of them..just abandons them? I will probably want to candle them one last time to make sure nothings moving right? All this 1st time with a broody thing is hard even though it shouldnt be...guess it is just to me, she's doing a fine job [​IMG]

2. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    OH and I know i should wait up to 3 days after to make sure? Is this right?

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    The hen will abandon the egg if it is not going to hatch.

4. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    If you hear peepers that means there internaly pip'ed, So Im sure soon they will pip externally, And from there it will zip. this process could take up t 36 hours sit on your hands [​IMG] and if its externally pip'ed and doesnt hatch with in 16 hours then I help, But other wise id wait sounds like there comming! [​IMG]

Oh btw they could be late because it they where a little below temp, it will slow down the hatch date and extend it

Id leave the one egg alone she will just abandon it once the others hatch.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by