What do you do with the livers, gizzards, necks, feet and beaks?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Pineywoods Peepers, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Pineywoods Peepers

Pineywoods Peepers Certified Poultry Accruer

I'm currently raising my first batch of meat birds. Some friends of mine and my husband and I are splitting 50 birds. I don't care for organ meat, so if I kept those parts I'm not sure what I'd do with them. I don't intend to eat them. I guess I could save them for my Pop, but other than that it seems like it would be a wasted effort to save them.

I've also seen articles that say to save the feet and beaks. Why? What do you do with those?

2. Firemenlovechicks

Firemenlovechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

use them to make chicken stock...... you can strain them out after the stock has cooked, but you will have some of THE BEST CHICKEN STOCK ever!!!!!!!

Or use the livers as fish bait...........

3. MyFirstFarm

MyFirstFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2010
    Do you have a dog? Great, healthy food for a dog. I have never tried feeding my dog the feet, but when we have meat birds this summer we'll give it a go.

(needless to say our dog is on a prey-model raw food diet; but it sure wouldn't hurt a kibble-fed dog to have some fresh organ meat!)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Neck, feet into chicken stock or soup--livers and gizzards in the stuffing. That's what Mom used to do. I let them ferment and use them for fox bait.

5. gocrow77

gocrow77 Crow's Nest

May 13, 2009
    Central MO
    I feed my dogs raw - so I give them the "rubbish" from all of our animals harvests. I happen to love chicken livers myself, but not so much the gizzards.....btw - dogs LOVE the feet! lol [​IMG]

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I use necks, backs, wing tips, and feet for stock. I have a friend who likes chicken liver so she gets those. If no one else wants them, gizzards and hearts can go into stock as well as making other dishes with them. I usually use them for making gravy when we roast a whole bird.

7. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I remember as a kid we only had a couple barn cats, but on the day they plucked chicken we had like 20.

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Catfish bait?

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    My dogs will eat everything we don't. Including heads and feet. [​IMG]

10. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    My grandmother used to make chicken-foot soup.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by