What do you DO with the MUCK pile?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by PineBurrowPeeps, May 7, 2009.

1. So, I clean my coops out now and then and all of the gross shavings and poo go into a muck pile. Which is now getting sort of large.

What on earth do I do with it?

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    ours is getting roto tilled into the ground.

we are also making a path through our wooded area and using the shavings to create it.

3. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Make a nice compost or list it on CL. People go nuts over that stuff... You should have seen the mountain of muck/compost in my backyard last year. I listed it on CL and a guy came with a gigantic tractor and an 18 ft trailer and took it all. Took him 3 trips

4. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    people use it under the trees, just like cow manure

5. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    compost baby compost! let it sit for about a year then be wow'd by what you can grow with it! mix it in or let sit on top of your garden over winter.

i'm also working on plantings in high rows and putting the somewhat composted litter in the valleys.

6. The stuff at the bottom of the heap is over a year old now.... Hmmmm... The pile is taller than me and I'm 5'2" and probably 8 -10 feet around. It's big.
    I wonder if we could turn it.

7. byrandom

byrandom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Terrell, TX
    Quote:At first I thought you were saying that YOU were 8-10 feet around. I was going to tell you to stop selling yourself short... [​IMG]

8. Quote:At first I thought you were saying that YOU were 8-10 feet around. I was going to tell you to stop selling yourself short... [​IMG]

HAHAHAHAHA! That gave me an out loud laugh... I needed that!
    I might be a big girl, but I'm no jabba the hutt!

9. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Bet you have some beautiful compost at the bottom of that pile.

10. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    see if you can shove over the top and get to the good stuff. next time make a couple of piles of it! if you use the stuff that isnt composted down enough - especially with chickens it will have too much nitrogen in it and it can 'burn' the plants. but once its black and crumbly.. oh yeah. i was nearly in a hand to hand combat over good compost one time...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by