1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you do with winter babies?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sabz, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Sabz

Sabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    I see there is a december Hatch-a-long thread and a few other threads with incubations starting late november. I will also do it, starts today.

For those with snow and cold winters, how do you manage?

I guess we keep them inside (brooder, house, etc) and wait for 3-4 weeks until they are fully feathered. Then what? We bring them outside a few times everyday so they develop a "winter coat"?

My adults have molted (and in the process of..) but with chicks that hatch in a warm environment, won't they have "summer" feathers and be cold when we want to transfer them to the coop?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  2. blackgoat

blackgoat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2014
    Blacksburg, VA
    I'm also interested to find out what people do with their chicks in the winter. I'm joining the New Years Chicks Hatch - a - Long, and my husband is very worried about the chicks being in sub-freezing temps.

3. Purpletie3

Purpletie3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Awesome thread to start...I have been scratching my head on ideas for raising my little chickens during the winter too... Right now...I have three chicks which live in a large fish tank but they are only 1.7oz each.

I live in Syracuse...snow belt capital of the world...Although I think Buffalo is now 100" ahead..I digress.

So, I have two outdoor coops, not insulated, not in use. I am in the process of building a super duper secure run 8'x8' but it got snowed in before I could backfill it.

I bought a little chicken coop from My Pet Chicken. I thought I could use it for the Banties...in the garage over the winter.

I just found a rat...huge game changer.

So, now my thoughts are...either new chicken hutch goes out in the garage with a run into the back room of my house...or the hutch goes into the house until April. I am in the process of putting in a pellet stove in the back room area of my home. (Old crappy farm house). I decided raising them inside was the best idea because come Spring I will have eggs. Last year we bought TSC chickens and a predator wiped them out in July as they were getting ready to start laying...heartbreaking!

OH- and I have 28 eggs in the incubator due some time in Dec.

Any ideas to make this easier would be great...! Right now I am just spinning circles!

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Well, I live in Florida so no snow, but it does get in the 20s here. I keep chicks inside until about 4 weeks old. Then I let them outside in a pen during the day in sunny weather. By about 6 weeks, I move them to the "grow-out pen," which is a pen inside the main coop. I use two lamps in one corner (actually on the outside of the wire pen out of reach) so they can get warm. This has worked well for us every winter.

1 person likes this.
  5. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    Any specific kind of lamp? I have heard so much about coop fires.

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We use 60 watt bulbs in those reflector light fixtures that clip on. We place them on the outside of the wire grow-out pen so they are out of reach of the chicks.

7. Purpletie3

Apr 30, 2014
    Upstate NY...
    That sounds good.

8. Espresso

Espresso Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2014
    Starbucks
    If I can get my ducks to hatch in December, they'll be brooding indoors until fully geathered. Then probably go intp the not heated laundry room, and THEN outside. Although I like the idea of bringing rhem outside for a little bit each day to adjust...

9. Happy Dad

Happy Dad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2012
    Eastern Nebraska
    We have 5 BBR banties in our R-COM Mini. Day 21 will be on Christmas! This is our first time hatching shipped eggs and unfortunately USPS took thier sweet time taking 4 days to arrive so we are hopeful for Christmas chicks. If successful they will spend thier first few days of life in the house in a small brooker then they will go out to our heated garage into a larger brooder that I have consructed. 8-12 weeks from hatch date it should start to be spring here in Nebraska and they will be introduced to "the gang" outside.

We have had 100% success rate twice in the past with our own duck eggs so we are spoiled when it comes to hatching but I fully understand our odds this time around. I will candle them this Friday and hope for the best!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by