what do you do with your chicken poop?

annie3001

My Girls
13 Years
Jun 11, 2009
Ct.
Hello.
Question on what do you do with your chicken poop as you clean out your coop.
i have been emptying some poop and wood shavings into a large garbage can for the past 2 weeks .
my chicks are about 1 month old and have been out in the coop for about 2 weeks. they are doing very well. i cant be happier.
however tonight i went and gave them a treat and was in the works to empty some poop into the trash can, when i was opened it,,,thousands of magets! gross gross gross gross.
should i be doing something else?
when people talk about using their chicken poop for fertilizer, what the heck are they doing, becuase my poop was full of magets!! which quite frankly kills me!! i put the lid back on the garbage can and moved it back to the yard, for my dear husband to dispose of. any feedback is very much appriciated!!! ( i feel like i need another shower!)
sad.png

thanks again!

andrea,ct.

mom to 2 kids
1 husband
1 dog shetland sheepdog
1 house minirex rabbit
5 chickens,,,,3 rir and 2 plymouth rocks!!

save the poop and compost it. Makes the best flower and garden ever. What kind of bedding are you using. I have never seen maggots or worms in mine. I use wood chips. Mix this with leaves and grass clippings give it air. Gloria Jean

You need to add it to a compost pile that contains green material. If you stir it up, it will heat up and kill the maggots. Or you could dump it on the ground and let your chikens have a party.lol Storing it in an enlosed can created the perfect fly incubator.

Quote:
use a composter it will get rind of the fly problem, add kitchen scrape that your birds don't eat plus the clippings and leaves plus you'll have the best compost in the world your neighbors/family will beg for it

okay!!
yeah makes sense that enclosing the poop will start up flys!! yeah and i spelt maggots wrong, but you understood!! lol.
so tommorrow i am gonna start composting it !!!
okay thanks again!!

andrea,ct.
big_smile.png

YOU NEED TO PUT A LAYER OF HYDRATED SLAKE LIME ON EACH BATCH AS IT IS PUT IN THE GARBAGE CAN

AND RUN A AD IN THE SHOPPERS GUIDE FOR FREE FERTILIZER(the ones reading it will know what it is for
FOR GARDENS
AND OR FIND A FARMER THAT HAS ROW CROPS AND DELIVER IT TO HIS COMPORT PILE
STILL USING THE HYDRATED LIME EVERY TIME IT IS PUT ON NEW
AS THAT KILLS THE FLY EGGS

with that said there are a couple of ideas and or ask your friends if they have gardens and a compost pile as the lime is great for the garden

any questions email me

Mine freerange all day.. so I leave it where it drops ,I just mow over it. Now with the sun it dries out so fast anyway.. no fly problem or maggots. The hay in the coop I distribute over my lawn and mow over it also. Makes good fertilizer.
The guinea baby area I do the same with. Toss it onto the yard and mow over it on low.

Very simple.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom