What do you do with your eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 3, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    I am only getting one egg aday from my ancona (who is a WONDERFUL layer of HUGE eggs) but in spring if all my hens are laying I will be getting 6 and day! I will be hatching and eating them, but what do you do with yours? And is it really OK to cook them and feed them back to the hens?

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I eat them, they make great scrambled eggs.

3. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:No hatching for you? I eat them to [​IMG]

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They go in the fridge.. i don't buy chicken eggs anymore... come spring if all the hens start laying(5 in total) yeah.. i think i'll be finding some that want duck eggs no way will we use that many.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Quote:No hatching for you? I eat them to [​IMG]

I hatch in the spring, not in the summer, fall or winter.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I eat them, bake with them, feed them to the dogs, and sell hatching eggs.

Some eggs get hatched and some of he hatchlings get shown and some get eaten.

7. ScoobyRoo

ScoobyRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2008
    Land of OZ
    They are great for baking. They add volume to your baked goods!

I know this for a fact because my daughter makes homemade brownies in a jelly roll pan. We have always used goose and duck eggs for the recipe. The baked brownies would almost over flow the pan. Twice, since the molting began we have used only chicken eggs and the brownie came out flat.

My daughter swore she forgot an ingredient until we realized it was lack of duck eggs.

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I have 6 laying with 4 laying one egg a day. We've gotten 250+ eggs since August 15th. We've eaten nearly all with very few to spare. I bake a lot and 98% of my cooking is from scratch. We use our eggs daily.

You can feed the leftover eggs back to the hens. I've hard boiled store bought eggs for the chickens. It's a great treat and full of protien. I need a couple more hens to keep up with our demand for eggs.

9. m496

m496 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    I have a lot of chickens and I get a lot of eggs during the spring/summer. We eat them, sometimes hatch them (but only a few), but we also sell a lot! There is a local store in our area which we sell some of our eggs too, and they then sell them to their customers. We also sell them to friends and put adds on craigslist. You would be suprised how many people want farm fresh eggs! Try it [​IMG]

10. inputoutput

inputoutput Out Of The Brooder

Sep 5, 2011
    Cumberland, MD
    When I had two chickens, 14 eggs a week. Its just me and my man here. I grind the egg shells up and feed them (and sometimes egg from our plates as long as it isn't slathered in Frank's Red Hot [​IMG] ) back to the chickens. I occasionally go to the auction in Grantsville, I could sell them there but people from my work have offered to buy them off me, and I usually just give them away when I have more than I need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by