What do you do with your extra eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lengel, May 14, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Our hens have really started to lay and we have chicks growing up in our living room. At this point, in addition to eating them ourselves, we feed the eggs to our dogs, bake for the nurses at the nursing home down the street, give eight a week to our neighbor but they're getting their own chickens soon, and basically fork off as many as we have available to anyone who's interested.

I could sell them with a special permit but we're off the beaten track and I don't know that that would make sense. I would love to donate them but don't know where to begin.

What do you do with your extra eggs?

Last edited: May 14, 2008
  2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    If I have truly "extra" eggs, they get boiled and crunched and then fed back to the hens. That way I don't feel they were wasted in any way, and the ladies get a great treat out of it! Kinda like recycling eggs. LOL

I have friend's who will just give them to the church. I don't know what the church does with them, but they do. [​IMG]

-Kim

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Our local Christians Assistance Network takes farm eggs, but I have read on here that some of them are unable to do so due to liability issues. I bet if you took them to some of the local churches they would know of a family that could sure use them! You could also crack them and freeze them for later use in baking, omelets and such. Do you have any B&Bs close to you? They always like to offer fresh produce to their clients, when possible, and may work out a deal with you for buying your excess eggs.

4. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    Do you scramble them before freezing? How does that work?

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I've read that some people freeze them in the ice cube trays. An egg to each compartment. Once they are frozen you pop them out and put them in a Zip-lock baggie and date the baggie. I haven't done it myself, I plan to try this year though.

-Kim

6. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
    I pickle eggs, make custard or quiche', give them to neighbors. Do you have a local food bank or church that might take them? Maybe check with your town office or city hall and they might have a special family that could use your extras.

Last edited: May 15, 2008
  7. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I dont get too many " extra's" But most of the banty eggs go to the pig. He loves em as a bedtime snak.

8. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    DH and I sell them at work.

9. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Set them in the break room at work next to a "Feed Us" donation jar.

10. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] That just gave me the sweetest mental image.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by