What do you do with your geese when there is severe weather?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by sillysister74, Jan 5, 2011.

1. sillysister74

sillysister74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Usually if we have a freeze warning, high heat indexes, or the possibility of thunderstorms or tornadoes we put the geese in our bathtub. This also serves as the infirmary when someone is sick. I was wondering am I the only crazy one doing this.

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    No it's not crazy at all to protect them.. I keep mine in their barn when weather is unfavorable.. Can be a pain with the waterers dribbled out on the floor, but at least they are safe...

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    With tornados, I would definitely get them out of harms way! I'll tell you right now that its snowing heavily and my geese are outside in the middle of it swimming in their pools! Rain, sleet, snow, it doesn't matter, they'd rather be out in it. Last year when I was a new goose mom, I used to go running out there to get them under cover and I would be fighting with them. They didn't want to go. This year, I've learned that when they need to go inside, they will.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I am in NC where snow is a rare event that my geese and ducks celebrate. The ducks grab the flakes out of the air like they are insects but what I remember the most is when we got about 3" of snow with a good crust of ice on top with a cold wind. My geese invented snow sailing! they would brace their feet like they were coming in for a landing on water and catch the wind with their wings.

5. sillysister74

sillysister74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    @ Goosedragon goose sailing LOL That is too cool.

@ Tennessee Truly My Embden did that too last year. There was ice and sleet and he was happily in his pool honking to himself. Hey please keep me in mind when you have some babies. I am wanting a pair of Sebbie babies and thinking of correlating the trip with a small vaca @ Pigion Forge or Chattanoga.

6. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    ya know the saying" A tornado can put straw through a brick."?

then how, in gods name did my goose survive the f4 tornado that we had this summer?!?! She was sitting on eggs in there shed when it hit. all 20 chickns, gone, all 10 ducks, gone, the gander, gone, and my goose, alive!!!(*NOTE*) this was not at my house)

here are some pictures not of her but of the tornado:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    sorry, not the best quality of pictures but i was shaking

and also forgive me for getting off topic but i thought it sort of tied in with this thread

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry you lost all your flocks but you goose!and I would be doing more than shaking. Did you ever find anyone?

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry you lost your whole flock, how your goose survived I cannot say any more than I can say I would be doing more than shaking if I saw that coming my way.

9. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    these were not my birds bu a friend down the road. While we were doing damage clean 2 weeks later his goose returned!!!! so she didnt have a place to stay so he said i could keep her. i loved her while she lasted i just lost her to a owl

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Quote:I'll definitely have babies. My first few will be hatching next week and they're already sold but when they start laying again, I'll keep you in mind!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by