What do you do with your raw milk?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by willkatdawson, Sep 20, 2009.

1. willkatdawson

willkatdawson Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I've got a raw milk supply and now I need to figure out what to do with it. Cream, butter, and maybe even kefir seem pretty easy but what else? I guess I need to make a trip to the library for a book about cheese ect...

2. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Raw cows milk or goat's milk?

We got dairy goats partially because we want to make our own soap.

Did you know BYC has a sister site, BackYard Herds? There is alot of information about what to do with raw milk there. I prefer BYC overall, but there is alot of information specific to your dairy animal on there at BYH.

3. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    Well they have both goat and cow milk but I guess I was leaning toward cow milk only because I feel more comfortable with the butter, cream end of things although I love goat cheese more than any other cheese!

4. savingdogs

savingdogs Chillin' With My Peeps

Well with cows milk it is easy to make butter because it seperates. Goat's milk does not, but is supposed to make better soap and cheese. At least that is what goat people say! The fat globules are supposed to be smaller in goat milk and better for you. We were looking forward to making feta cheese in particular, my husband's favorite and we also make alot of mexican food and like that crumbly mexican cheese. We've found lots of recipes online we are dying to try, but our goats are still babies so not producing milk yet.

The soap from goat's milk is supposed to be really good for people with allergies (like us) and sensitive skin. I also thought it would make good gifts for the family and our family is into homemade gifts.

I wish I had access to raw goats milk already, how are you finding it? It seems to be selling for quite a bit around here. It cannot be sold legally here except for "craft and animal purposes."

Also you did not mention making ice cream and we are really ready to make that. And what about custards, you should have lots of eggs also, right? Yum!

5. willkatdawson

Mar 31, 2008
    Ga
    I posted on Sufficientself.com and your right they are selling for pet and craft but it's really fresh and I think the red tape for human consumption would be almost too great for anyone to receive. So for now my "dogs" are going to have some great butter and cheese coming their way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by