1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do you feed a baby chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rosyposyosy, Jul 19, 2007.

1. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    shes vaccinated so no medicated feed. would it just be cracked corn?

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    How old is she? She should be on chick starter. I didn't give mine cracked corn until they were about 9 weeks old. They can't digest it without grit.

3. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    im getting her in august but i think it would be best to know before i get her. shes gonna be 2 weeks when i get her

4. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    Start her on chick starter, nonmedicated if you want. I would say absolutely no cracked corn until she gets older and is outside to get small rocks or you give her some grit. Do you have other chickens at all? What do you feed them? Cracked corn should be strictly a treat.

5. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    The medication is to prevent Coccidious (sp??) so I personally would feed it to her, but you should at least give plain starter.

And I pretty much agree with everyone else on the cracked corn, not until she is much older. But I do mix cracked corn with layer pellets in the winter, keeps them toasty.

6. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
    The medication is to prevent Coccidious

Is that the disease they can get from wild birds? Mine are on medicated start and grow. Some people don't like medicated feed because it isn't "ORGANIC". I feed mine medicated because organic or not I want healthy birds.​

7. rosyposyosy

Jul 11, 2007
    i think that im just gonna get normal complete organic non medicated feed and grind it up in the blender for my chick and then feed my chickens the unground stuff

8. Southern28Chick

Apr 16, 2007
  9. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    how old should they be once we take them off the chick starter?

10. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    i meant medicated chick starter

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by