What do you feed ducks and at what age?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kennedyscochins, Dec 4, 2010.

1. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    I am ordering some pekin duck eggs and possibly going to buy some adult ducks. I have never had ducks. I do have chickens, so I would like to feed them chicken feed if this is possible. Also, considering my local feed store does not sell duck food, I am guessing I have to feed some kind of chicken feed.

1. After doing some research, I read that I feed ducklings chick starter until they're 3 weeks old????
    2. then chick grower until mature (is that 6 weeks old-I read that, but that seems young to be mature)????
    3. what do you feed adult ducks?

thanks in advance!

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Ducklings are quite big at 6weeks & I believe my Pekin/Rouens were nearly fully feathered at that age. I believe you can feed them something like Purina Flock Raiser as adults, some people just feed them Layer feed though too.

3. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    do they carry purina? purina has starter/grower that is for both chickens and ducks and then they have flock raiser for all birds, and layer pellets for laying season, etc.

4. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:They carry some purina. I know they have flock raiser because that's what I'm feeding right now, since I have chickens of all different ages. Does purina have laying pellets specifically for ducks or are you referring to laying pellets for chickens?

5. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
  6. kennedyscochins

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:Thank you so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by