1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you feed your birds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickengirl, Feb 26, 2007.

1. chickengirl

chickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2007
    Florida
    I feed mine scratch grains and mix it with catfish pellets as well as balck oil sunflower seeds, this has alot of protein which brings out better feathers and makes them look alot better to this is mainly for my show birds so they look good for the shows. They also very seldom get sick from all the protein that they are getting from this feed.

2. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:We feed our chickens rice from our rice cooker mixed with some grain with some DE added. We will also cut up some green leafy vegetables, give them sunflower seeds, oyster shell, worms, occasionally crushed egg shells, cooked shrimp heads and shells. During the summer they eat much better since our garden is in production, tomatos, squash leaves, corn, greens, figs, blackberries, raspberries, etc. and grass which is now slim pickens. I know I’m leaving some out but there is an example of some of what they eat.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  3. PDJTP2006

PDJTP2006 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2007
    I feed my chickens everything all my left over vegtables,fruits and rice they love it all. But I give them laying mash as well as scratch

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mine free feed on laymash, but I also give them cat food, grass, veggies, rice, fruit, anything we don't finish at dinner [​IMG], and the occasional handful of scratch.
    One thing they go nuts over is noodles!!! I just cook a little extra and throw them out there.

5. eldiablo

eldiablo Out Of The Brooder

I give my girls scratch grains and leftover stuff from the kitchen I wasn't sure if I should feed them worms but I've seen them eat some out of the garden so I guess its ok. They go crazy for rice. I mix a little garlic powder in when its boiling and they love it.

6. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    I feed mine chicken layer, a little scratch, flax seeds, which they love but cost a ton! I just added alfalfa pellets, and I want to add kelp meal, and fish meal, but I can't find it anywhere! I've also decided to start giving them a handful of cat food a day.

7. jckc8155

jckc8155 New Egg

Mar 1, 2007
    North east Indiana
    Greetings,

What is the difference from laying mash and scratch?

Thanks!

Kathy

8. jckc8155

jckc8155 New Egg

Mar 1, 2007
    North east Indiana
    Quote:I was just wondering what exactly is "scratch grains" and I'm guessing that the black sunflower seeds do have the shell on them. Where do you get the catfish pellets, I've never heard of using them as a base to the feed. How much do you add?

Thanks,
    Kathy

9. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I've always fed a mix of laying mash, cracked corn, and cockateil mix (dried vegs, sunflowers, seed mix) and a handful or two of any cut up fresh veggies on hand, lettuce, broccoli, carrots, spinach, etc.
    Their coop is covered with a wild grape vine, so in the late summer they enjoy grapes galore.
    And this past summer, a zucchini(sp?) plant grew in the run (go figure, I've got a purple thumb, can't grow a thing in my veggie garden worth eating, and Millie grew a huge zucchini plant and ate fresh young zucchinis all summer!!!! [​IMG] )
    I also provide crushed oyster shell and grit.
    The chicks are still on their starter of course, but they've been introduced to all the above except the grapes.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007
  10. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:We feed our chickens rice from our rice cooker mixed with some grain with some DE added. We will also cut up some green leafy vegetables, give them sunflower seeds, oyster shell, worms, occasionally crushed egg shells, cooked shrimp heads and shells. During the summer they eat much better since our garden is in production, tomatos, squash leaves, corn, greens, figs, blackberries, raspberries, etc. and grass which is now slim pickens. I know I’m leaving some out but there is an example of some of what they eat.

I remember last year when my pine tree started dropping pine nuts they were eating them like cereal.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by