What do you feed your chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by auntbee, Jul 14, 2008.

1. auntbee

auntbee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2008
    We are getting our first chicks this week, I'm so excited! They will be 2 days old, and I would like to raise them as organic as possible. What do I feed them? Do they just eat regular feed or is there a special one since they're so young? Does anyone know where to get organic feed? Thanks!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I only use unmedicated chick starter crumbles. Purina Mills has a good starter/grower. I can't get organic feeds here.

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They need a starter/grower food. I would think any of the chick starter crumbles would be considered organic as long as they weren't the medicated kind.

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    They are not organic unless they are clearly labled as certified organic.

Pesticide free grains from certified pesticide free feilds.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    MissPrissy...why do you feed unmedicated starter? I was thinking about doing it but was afraid of coccidiosis.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have never used medicated feeds. I have always felt it was best for my chickens to develop a natural immune system. I expose them to the ground at an early age and hope for the best. In 20 years so far I have never had a problem. I try to raise all of my animals as naturally as possible. So far so good.

The only ones I vaccinate are my goats. It is recommended here they recieve a tetnus yearly and a CD&T booster.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:This is good to know and makes perfect sense! I forgot about the pesticides used on the fields. [​IMG] Clearly, I just need to go back to bed! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by