What do you feed your flock on cold mornings?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by realsis, Jan 29, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I've been giving a warm mash and in the mash I soak some alfalfa and give them a small amount of a soaked food that has barely pea splits beets lentles raisins carrots sweet potato wheat broccoli and oatmeal in it. They really love it. I have grit readily available as well. What do you give on cold mornings?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That sounds better than what I have for breakfast. Have had so many frozen eggs gathering at night lately I have been mixing them with grain and sunflower seeds cooking them in a dutch oven and feeding it the next morning, they are going to be disappointed when the weather gets warmer.

3. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I give my hens oatmeal with raisins and diced fruit....they love it!

4. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

cracked corn

5. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    Oh, and scratch grains

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    often some cooked oatmeal or quinoa or other grains mixed with leftover veggies. Sometimes I mix leftover soup with some veggies or oatmeal. I usually freeze some chopped veggies from the garden for winter treats and those are 'served' warm winter mornings :) The chooks love it....

7. escape

escape Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    I give them a little scratch and about a half pound of fodder. Since the fodder is just harvested, it gives them the needed water immediately. I also pull out their frozen water and put fresh water in, but they seem to want to eat before they drink. The fodder has a high water content so I worry about them a little less.

I can't wait for the mornings to be "not so cold".

8. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Thank you for the ideas they all sound so good. Because they don't get their grasses in winter I've been giving alfalfa as well. I use rabbit cubes soaked in warm water and I crumble those a top of the mash as well. They seem to love it.

9. fullnester

fullnester New Egg

Aug 26, 2013

My 4 hens enjoy yogurt and lettuce, so in the cold winter days I warm the yogurt, melt some beef of bacon fat, mix this with lettuce and they seem to enjoy it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by