What do you feed your girls when they are different ages?

labradoodlemama

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 2, 2014
Cumberland County PA
I have two 19 wk girls that are laying. One has been laying 1 egg a day since Aug 7, the other started laying last week. My problem is the 2nd one laying has 3 eggs while she is on the roost and 2 have had soft shells and the last one didn't seem to have a shell. I do not have them on layer feed because I also have 10 girls that are 14 wks old. Can I feed them all layer feed now? I was told at the feed store I can't feed layer feed until a chicken is 17 wks old, and then other people say it is ok. I also heard that I could mix the 2 feeds together until the littles are 17 wks old. Please help!!!!

this is TERRIBLY incorrect.

OP, do you have free choice oyster shell available to them at all times? If you do, then the soft shelled eggs could just be the body getting everything straightened out.

Excess calcium is damaging to the kidneys. Even if the animals don't just keel over and die, doesn't mean that damage isn't done internally.

There are several studies on the impact of too much calcium, but the damaging effects don't present as outward symptoms for years. Just because you can't see a problem, doesn't mean there isn't one. Similar to how alcohol affects the liver.

Last edited:
I'ld agree here! If you have chicks and laying hens, the food that the chicks have access to should never be layer. Instead, get an all flock or grower feed, and provide calcium - usually in the form of oyster shell. This will give your chicks a longer life.

this is TERRIBLY incorrect.

OP, do you have free choice oyster shell available to them at all times? If you do, then the soft shelled eggs could just be the body getting everything straightened out.

Excess calcium is damaging to the kidneys. Even if the animals don't just keel over and die, doesn't mean that damage isn't done internally.

There are several studies on the impact of too much calcium, but the damaging effects don't present as outward symptoms for years. Just because you can't see a problem, doesn't mean there isn't one. Similar to how alcohol affects the liver.

I'ld agree here! If you have chicks and laying hens, the food that the chicks have access to should never be layer. Instead, get an all flock or grower feed, and provide calcium - usually in the form of oyster shell. This will give your chicks a longer life.

X 2 - rather than feeding the younger birds an inappropriate diet, feed the entire group a diet suitable for them all (grower feed/all-flock/flock-raiser/etc) and provide the calcium needed by the laying birds via supplemental calcium (ie oyster shell).

This is far from being correct the correct answer.

Quote: FEEDING DIRECTIONS: Feed as the sole ration to laying hens

Quote: Do not feed Gold Standard Laying Crumbles to none laying hens or young growing birds for extended periods of time because the higher levels of calcium incorporated into the feed for egg shell formation may cause harm to the birds.

Quote:

@labradoodlemama ,

Feeding high amounts of calcium to any non-laying fowl and be dangerous and harmful to the birds kidneys.
Non-Laying fowl includes chicks, growing birds, roosters, and hens not currently laying do to age, molt, health, season, etc.

Due to the varying ages and sexes of my birds here i use growers with free choice Oyster shell. All flocks, flock raisers are another option if available to you.

I was told the same thing by the co-op (layer was ok for 15wks old) when I got my hens about 5 weeks ago. Only one of 3 is laying yet. I guess I should take away the layer pellets until they all start laying? I do already have a shell dispenser in the run.
I do allow several hours of free range time so I am guessing the pellets make up less than 50% of their diet. Hopefully I have not done any permanent damage

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom