What do you feed your Silkies (or any bird that you show)?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by SilkiesnFrizzle, Mar 25, 2013.

1. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    I haven't really seen a discussion about this, and I am curious as to what others feed thier Silkies or other birds that they show/breed. I just started feeding the Silkies a mixture of Magna Pro Chick Starter and Gamebird/Showbird. I also mix in Flock Fuel with the feed, which provides Omega 3's and Lots of Vit E. I also will give them Poultry Conditioner a few times a week with thier feed. My regular flock get's the Flock Raiser by Purina, and do well on it. What do you feed your showbirds?

2. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Right now mine get a 20% layer and occasional corn. A few weeks before showing them I like to give them some BOSS, calf manna pro, and maybe a bit of game bird conditioner a few times a week.
    Reasons why I feed what I do:
    *20%- this is the main part of their diet. It has a really high protein which helps them because they are large birds and it helps keep weight on. Plus the higher protein is good for their feathers.
    *BOSS- helps keep their feathers nice and shiny. Just don't go over board on this as it can make them fat.
    *calf manna- high protein and I was told it's good for their feathers
    *game bird- high protein, and it seems to make them more active. Which is good when showing.

3. SilkiesnFrizzle

SilkiesnFrizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2012
    Lakeland, Florida
    What is BOSS? That is a good idea, to cut down on feed costs as well, to feed a special diet when getting ready to show, and more of a regular feed when not.

4. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    black oil sunflower seeds

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by