1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you feed your turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Louise's Country Closet, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Louise's Country Closet

Louise's Country Closet Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    I was curious what everyone feeds their turkeys? I've heard anything from game bird to chicken layer so what do you feed your adult turkeys??

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2011
  2. BeccaOH

BeccaOH Morning Gem Farm

Oct 3, 2008
    east central Ohio
    Mine got game bird pellets and seemed to do well on them. (I don't currently have turkey due to space.)

3. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    Yeah, that's what mine are getting right now too. It's just SO expensive! [​IMG]

4. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I feed mine 28% game bird crumbles.
    And then they get a handful of a mix our feed store makes with all kinds of good stuff.
    And once ir twice a week some kind of fruit or vegetable or sometimes salmon.

5. Alas

Alas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Covington, LA
    My turkey and chickens are free range. I also throw out cracked corn and layer pellets so they arent tempted to roam too far [​IMG]

6. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2011
    I have found goat feed to be on sale lately. at $4 cheaper per bag the ingredients are nearly identical. I have been using that in dishes and as scratch to keep the birds content.

7. ccrawf

ccrawf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Springfield, Missouri
    I have had my chickens and turkeys together and they all eat the layer pellets. Worked good for me for several years.
    I do use game starter for the chicks. But game bird feed is just too expensive and I haven't found a breeder feed either.

8. Louise's Country Closet

Feb 5, 2010
    Garrison, MN
    thanks everyone for the answers! i'm interested in the laying feed since that is a bit cheaper than the game bird. especially considering how much the turkeys waste by knocking it all out of the feeders.

9. sweeterdeeter42

sweeterdeeter42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I heard that you are never supposed to feed them chick starter or layer because it is medicated? Is that not true? I dont remember where I heard that . Or is that just for ducks? I feed my turkeys meat builder feed. It says for turkeys. I tried to feed them corn first, but they wouldnt eat it so I bought the meat builder.

10. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Poults up to 10 weeks get 28% after that they get 16% to 20% layer ration that is on heritage types. The BB get 22% whole life (which is much shorter unfortunately).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by