What do you feel for to determine sex of baby chicks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by perrypogue, Feb 11, 2016.

1. perrypogue

perrypogue Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2015
    Haskell TX
    So, I'm splitting 24 baby chicks with a friend who provided the incubator. I'd love to pick 12 pullets and no roos. I know the hatcheries use some method as you can buy only pullets. Is this something that is easy to do?

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    hatcheries use professional vent sexers, it's not easy and even the pros are sometimes wrong.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    As stated above, hatcheries have trained professionals to vent sex chicks. It isn't easy, and not something you can learn overnight. Besides, even if you could sex them it's possible there are fewer than 12 pullets in the bunch.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Even if you could....
    it wouldn't be very nice to give your friend all the males and keep all the females for yourself...would it?
    :D

3 people like this.
  5. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    The best thing for you to do is to order all pullets. But this isn't always sure fire.

I used My Pet Chicken twice this past year for small orders, and even though I ordered all pullets, I got cockerels in each order. and these were breeds that can be auto-sexed along with vent sexing. It was suggested by a rep from this company that someone packing my orders pulled chicks from the 'straight run" bins.

So, you may still get cockerels due to sloppy workers. There are ways to tell if you have boys or girls, though. Sometimes, the boy chicks have stubby wings with little or no feather buds showing, while girls will have longer, toothpick-like wing shafts coming out from the wing stubs, and they will appear in an uneven row, unlike the boys, which, if showing, will be in an even row. This was apparent with the cockerels I received.

In addition to that, many times cockerels will be more active and friendly to people, as well as behaving more aggressively with the other chicks.

The best way to assure you will get pullets is to use a reputable hatchery and specify pullets and not straight run. You can increase your chances by ordering breeds that can be auto sexed, meaning the sexes each have physical characteristics that differ from each other.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I think they are incubating them.

7. applebutter14

applebutter14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Iowa
    thats what i was thinking! but i understand that you dont want roosters. :)

8. peter2610

peter2610 New Egg

Feb 12, 2016
    I wait for about 3 weeks after they are born.
    If they have a large comb(bigger than most)
    they are a rooster
    If their combs are very small then they are a hen:

9. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama

That may work with some breeds but not most.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Better yet.....at about 5-6 weeks the comb and wattle color will come out on males...works for most breeds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by