What do you get if you cross a buff orp hen with

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by noodleroo, Aug 13, 2010.

1. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    a silver laced wyandotte roo? Does anybody have a pic. or an opinion on the temperment and egg production info? Here's the thing; I have 2 separate flocks. The flock here at the house is 4 buff orp hens and 1 SLW roo. The free ranging flock at the bay property is where my buff orp roo is. I didn't intend to keep a roo here in town (I can, no ordinance or anything) but DH couldn't catch him when he moved the others so he is in charge of his 4 girls and they are all 13 weeks old. I don't hold him and pet him like the hens because i never expected to keep him, but I like to hear him and I think he does guard the girls. None of these birds are any kind of breeder quality but the buffs are so sweet-and that's all I really care about. So, back to my original question-anybody with a buff orp/SLW cross have any advice for me?

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    As for the color of the chicks, the pullets would probably be pure Light Columbian colored but the black ticking may be light and week and they would most likely have rose combs, the roo would be about the same but would be split for both silver and gold genes unlike the pullets who would be pure silver gened, so the roos would have a goldish color in them.

I have a pullet from the reverse cross of a BO roo on a SLW hen ( Which would produce sexlinks) and she is Buff Columbian with the light ticking like I said, but since your roo is silver and the hens are gold in your cross, you would get silver pullets instead of buff.

3. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Thank you,, Clint. This is so out of my area. I can tame an animal for you or help you smooth over a squabble with your neighbor but chicken genetics....not so much. I'm guessing that egg production would be about 3 to 4 per week like I would expect with either breed?

4. CloggingChicken

CloggingChicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Hendersonville, NC
    Rareroo is correct that the hen's from the cross are silver with the black ticking in the hackle and even some black feathering in the tail. I have one and don't have a pic at the moment. Imagine a Light Sussex with a rose comb and not as much black in the hackle. Mine is somewhat of a very light blonde mixed in with the overall silver/white coloration. She has white legs of the orp as well. I only have the one from the cross so I can't say what a roo would look like.
    My girl came into lay in June and we get about 5 eggs a week from her at this point. I don't know if it this is high or normal as the SLW and BO hens that we have lay about that well and they are a year old, so I would say it is normal.

Bill

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  5. noodleroo

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    Thank you so much. I know that chickens have been crossing breeds since there have been chickens, but I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't creating some mutant wild creature. Sounds like they will be just fine, so when one of my buffs goes broody, I'll let her hatch some and put them with the flock at the bay when they're big enough. Thank you again; I'm sure I'll have more questions later...

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:Yep Mine has the white legs too, and about as much black ticking as Delawares have and a rose comb, but like I said she buff instead of silver since she is from the reversed cross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by