what do you get when you breed bbs to buff?

sdshoars

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2008
Texas
orps that is? i am going to keep a blue roo as my main flock rooster, and i have a few buff orpingtons, and i was wondering what turns out of those eggs? does anyone have any pictures? and i am so jealous of miss p's red roo, but i know the chances of that are slim to none, so what is the usual turn out? thanks!

yes, i belive big red is the result of buff/ bbs... but i was wondering what normally happens when you cross them. thanks though cyn!

I can tell you a little bit about the blue over buff. I had a Buff Brahma in with my Suede for a long time. The pullets were solid blue or black with tiny, almost imperceptible amts of ticking/streaking around their eyes, head and sometimes hackles. The cockerels developed lots of gold/buff in their wings, back and tails. I know it's a Brahma, but it is Buff. You could always tell the pullets from the cockerels as the gold came in. If you'd like to see pics, I'd be happy to show you, but I'm sure someone has the Orp x Orp crosses here.

yes, please, post some pictures!
pop.gif
i am going to get a buff brahma this spring, so at least i will know what those babies will looklike! haha, thank you!

I believe it was jimhappycowboy that posted some pics a few months ago when he was needing to downsize his flock because of his health or a family members at the time.
There were quite a few pics of those crosses and they looked pretty cool to me. I wanted to drive over there and get some but at the time the gas was TOO HIGH for a road trip.

Jayare

Ok, here you go! First pic is one of the cockerels, a huge boy. Note all the buff/gold coloration that his sister below doesn't have:
DCP_9493.jpg

Here is his sister, Glenda,who is solid black with tiny flecks of gold around her eyes:
DCP_9470.jpg

Since I still have Glenda, here is an adult picture of her-she's a complete doll! She looks like a black Brahma, but is larger than her mother, Caroline.
DCP_0482.jpg

DCP_1527.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom