what do you get when you cross...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ThreeGlovers, Dec 6, 2009.

1. ThreeGlovers

ThreeGlovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    I am curious, what would I get if I let my Golden Phoenix rooster cross with a milli fleur D'uccle hen? I would like to increase the feather length in the milli rooster without really changing the coloring. Even if it did change, what would I get out of it?

Thanks
    Bo

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    According to the calculator, you should get some that are columbian colored and some the are buff columbian, and they would be split mottled, mottled meaning they would carry the mottleing gene, but not show it visually, if you crossed them together or back to the Milles, you would get more MF colored birds. I'm not sure about the tail length part.

Do you raised Golden Phoenix? If so, are they standard or bantam?

3. ThreeGlovers

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    No I do not raise them. I ordered 2 roosters from Ideal this spring. I actually got 1 rooster and one hen. I don't really know if you would call them bantam or not. They are bigger than my milli"s but smaller than my other chickens. I ordered them so I could raise them for feathers so my son could tie fishing lures. I alreday had the milli's. got them last year. I had the milli rooster die late last summer. I thought he was real pretty, I just thought it might be neat if I could inject some extra length in the cape and saddle feathers.
    Bo

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    OK

Do you have any pics of your phoenix? how long is his tail? I am wanting to get some phoenix bantams, if yours came from Ideal, they would be standard sized.

5. ThreeGlovers

Feb 15, 2008
    Beebe, Arkansas
    No I don't have any pics of him. His tail is actually kinda pitiful. It is just that I let him run and he seems to keep the ends broke off. I would say it is only about a foot long. But he is only about 8 months old. So maybe he will come into his own in time. His saddle feathers are really starting to grow good now. They really drape down his sides.

6. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Tail length is controlled by a set of dominant genes and a set of recessive genes. The dominant genes cause very long tails and the recessive genes make the long tails shorter but not as short as normal tails. The longest tails have two sets of dominant genes. Birds that have tails longer than normal would have two dominant genes and two recessive genes . Normal tail length is two sets of recessive genes.

Caged birds will grow longer tails than free range birds.

The pheonix would pass on a long tail gene to its offspring and cause the offspring's tails to be longer.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by