What do you get When you Cross....

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cluckcluckgirl, Nov 21, 2012.

1. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    What would you get if you crossed a half RIR half BO rooster with a Jersey giant, Easter Egger, Barred Plymouth Rock, or RIR hen?

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    a barnyard mix.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Pretty sure you'd get a chicken.

4. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    That's obvious. I meant is there a certain breed you would get?

5. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    No, you would get a mixed bird. Nothing wrong with them. Breeds are, by nature, not mixed.

6. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Not a purebred, no. But it is always fun to try out making your own new breed. Who knows? Maybe you will get a really cool chicken...

7. cluckcluckgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    If I crossed that rooster with the Jersey Giant hen, I may name the breed a Buff Red Giant or a Rhode Orpington Jersey.

8. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I would recommend that you hang out in the breeding and genetics forums if you really want to undertake a breeding project. Soak up the vast amounts of knowledge there, and talk to the really nice folks so you don't follow avenues of breeding that aren't productive.

For example, if you wanted to create a Buff Jersey Giant variety, you would want to involve a bird with yellow skin genes. You would want to stay close enough to the Jersey Giant type to get it eventually accepted as a new variety. Do research, familiarize yourself with breed standards and genetics, and you won't end up doing years and years of circular and non-productive breeding.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    it takes a whole lot more than just crossing 2 birds to get a breed, it takes time and years of selective breeding and culling till the offspring breed true. as of right now all you would get is a mixed breed chicken no breed at all. Pele gave you some good advice if you want to come up with a new variety but as of right now you will have only barnyard mixes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by