What do you get when you hatch Light X Coronation Sussex eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Saltysteele, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    I've got 3 hens and a rooster that are light x coro crosses. they all look like light sussex's. they are from greefire farm lineage.

anyway, set 11 eggs, all hatched. out of the 11, 3 are now showing coronation coloration [​IMG] [​IMG]

so, if i had set 12 eggs, 3 would have been the 25% predicted rate of coro's, so looks like i'm ahead of the curve, getting 3 out of 11 lmbo [​IMG]

i've got 3 more in the brooder just under a week old, and the gals are hatching more, one is brooding 2 more chicks. i've got so many flipping chickens [​IMG] [​IMG]
    (these are in addition to the 15 teenage black australorps, ameracaunas and cochins, and 4 royal palm turkeys (with more royal palms poults coming)

the banty was the roosters only companion while the big girls were sitting, and it looks like Hank finally figured out how to make things happen with the little girls. i pulled 6 banty eggs from under one of the hens, and 3 of them were pretty far along!

what the deuce am i going to do with all these chickens???? [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Buy a lot of feed, build more coops and runs, and clean up a lot of poop. [​IMG]

3. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    yeah, that's about it

i don't mind, but i'm getting tired of listening to my wife [​IMG]

sussex are actually a dual purpose bird, so aside from the coro's, we may eat the others.

my ameracaunas, black australorps were straight runs, so some of them will be eaten, and one of my cochins is a rooster. the dang teenagers, before letting them free range in the grass, were eating 30 pounds of feed in less than a week! they were getting a bit expensive to have around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by